Chapter 44: club

I needed a distraction, I just needed to do something to get my mind off things. Cheer was over, football was over. I had nothing to do. All I had to occupy myself was read and think about my dead boyfriend, which is the last thing I wanted to do. I shot Paris, Jessica, Malory, Beatrice, Maya, Kat, Cody, Zack, Jasper and Todd a text.

I already had a plan in mind. I had a sketchy cousin that lived a few minutes away. I always knew I could find him somewhere in the hood. We used to be close, but time changed that. I dialed his number, knowing I could count on him to get any job done. "Adeline! Sup' my nigga?" He answered. "Marcos, I need you to do me a huge favor." I bit my lip. "Ight, what you need?" He breathed into the speaker. "I need you to get me eleven fake ID's before tonight. Can you do that?" I raised an eyebrow. "Yo! I can do anything. Drop me off their photos so I can set it up. Get me all the info I need, approximate ages, names, numbers, height, weight, you know the drill. Meet me on the corner of Broadway and Washington in ten." I heard him blow out smoke. "Okay, see you in a few." I nodded, hanging up.

Pulling on a baggy sweatshirt and leggings, I slipped into a pair of high tops. My hair was already in a pony tail as I slung a book bag over my shoulder. A few moments passed and I found myself where he told me to meet him. Dogs barked in the background, each house looking sketchier and sketchier. Boards filed their way down windows, shards of glass scattered the ground, cracks in the sidewalk allowed weeds to grow between them. A group of creepy looking muscular guys stood a few yards away, slouching against a trash can as they passed something they were smoking around. "Adeline!" A voice sounded from behind me. I jumped, startled. "Oh, Marcos. Thank god!" I sighed with relief as I turned to face him. "You got what I need?" He spat at the ground. "Yep. Got it all." I waved my phone to him. "Ight, cool. My buddy Sparky can help you out. Just be cool." He narrowed his eyes at me. "Okay, I can be cool." I shrugged. "Yeah, right." He shook his head, leading the way.

Marcos lead me to an alley, where we stopped in front of a fence. "We gotta hop it." He looked to me. "Okay, let's go then." I motioned forward as if it were no big deal. "Ladies first." He stepped aside. I groaned, shuffling over to the fence. I looked at the silver wiring, debating. I could do it. Clasping my fingers around a bar, I began to climb. I found myself at the top, thrusting myself over and carefully making my way down. It was as if I had done it a million times. Simple. "Not bad." He shrugged, following my path over, only he was faster. He hopped to the ground beside me.

We walked a little further down the alley and ended up walking down a few stairs to a doorway. The white paint was chipped and yellowing. He knocked a pattern of rhythmic knocks before the door opened a crack. "Sparky?" He called. "What up, bro? Come in." A guy's voice sounded. We entered. "Who's the chick?" Sparky grumbled. As I entered the room, my lunges filled with smoke. "It's cool, she's chill." Marcos explained. I met eye contact with Sparky, a chubby short guy with furrowed eyebrows. He puffed a cigarette, slouching in a chair. He was tan and had black hair, similar to Marcos only Marcos wasn't chubby. I, myself wasn't Mexican but Marcos was. He was a distant cousin. "Damn. You got some fine lady." Sparky looked me up and down. I groaned, flicking my hair. "Dude. That's my cousin, mind your eyes." Marcos growled. "For real. I might look all petite but I'll knee you right in the balls if you don't watch it." I snapped, flicking an eyebrow. "Feisty too, eh?" He bit the air. I scowled. "Anyways." Marcos raised his voice. "We need fake ID's for my friends and I." I piped in.

An hour or so later, Sparky handed me a pile of fake ID's for me and each of my friends. "Thanks bro." Marcos patted Sparky on the back before showing me the way out. "You seem pretty chill, Ads. It's been a while, if you ever wanna come chill in my crib, gimme a call." Marcos hugged me goodbye. "Thanks, Marcos. I'll give you a call sometime. I waved him off before hopping back over the fence. I exited the alley way where Kat's van pulled up just on time. "You got my text." I smiled with satisfaction before hopping in one of the back seats with all of my friends.