Chapter 4: Wolves

Behind the bushes were many steep hills leading down to a cave. From a distance, our curious eyes met with a pack of sleeping wolves. Their peaceful faces sound and calm. We all stared in awe, admiring the majestic beasts. "Wolves." Cody mumbles. "Their beautiful! Those are my favorite animal." I replied, still admiring their beauty.

     "Can they hear us?" Malory asked curiously. "Nope." A voice chuckled from behind us. We all jumped at the strangers words. Behind us stood a medium sized girl with darker skin, like Beatrice and medium shoulder length brown hair and eyes. She chuckled some more at our surprised faces. "Sorry if I scared you, I'm Maya." She reached her hand out to shake. Beatrice took a step forward, shaking her hand.

    "What are you doing out here?" Paris asked curiously. "Well, I live on the outskirts of Swansville but I come here often." Maya shrugged. "No way! We live in Swansville, too!" Cody piped up. "Really? I've never seen you guys around." She raised an eyebrow. "Yup. Although, we just got back from California. We were there for almost a month so we haven't been around." Jasper explained. "Oh, makes sense." Maya nodded.

    "Do you care if I join?" Maya asked, smiling. "Of course!" Kat welcomed her. Now returning my attention to the wolves, I sat on the edge of one of the many hills. Down at the bottom, the wolves slept silently. It was unreal. Amazing, in fact.

    Maya decided to share a tent with Beatrice, Malory, Todd and Jordan. Cody, Kat, Jasper and Alaina bunked together, Paris, Ian, Jessica, Pheonix and I all shared a tent as well. We were all settling down as the sun was setting, Todd finally getting a fire going. Beatrice was fumbling around with her radio. Kat, Cody, Pheonix and Jasper were already asleep in their tents. The rest of us, circling the fire.

    I carefully took a seat on a log, feeling the warmth of the Flames toast my skin. The moon hung low, radiating onto the blades of thin grass and shining between leaves on trees. Smoke swirled up from the fire, dancing in the warm air. We toasted marshmallows on sticks as we told stories and shared memories.

    Todd had just got finished telling his story, all of us laughing hysterically as a sudden wolf howl cried out, bouncing off trees into our eardrums. It wasn't fierce, but more gentle and agile. It wasn't a threat, but more of what sounded like a peace offering. Biting into a s'more, I tasted the sweet chocolaty toasted marshmallow and graham cracker enlighten my tongue. Chewing it slowly, I savored its flavor.

    Alaina was rambling on about a story as I laid a soft blanket onto the ground. Taking a seat on it, I lay back. My eyes met with the moon, the powerful rays brightening my skin and face. I breathed steadily, listening to the crickets chirp and my friends voices echo. I grew more and more tired by the second, yawning after each sentence Alaina spoke. Her story wasn't boring more as the day was long and great. I wrapped myself into the blanket and trudged off into my tent.

    The fire crackled just outside the walls of the tent, causing me to quickly drift off into sleep.