Chapter 3: Summer

Once I got home, I flung myself onto the couch. Summer was finally here. The curtains were drawn back, creating a ray of sunlight to blanket the living room carpet. I sighed with relief.

    I lay there for a few moments, the air steady. The whole house was silent, birds chirping behind the Windows. Suddenly, a knock came from my door. Standing from the couch, I swiftly made my way to answer it. Opening the door, Beatrice appeared. "Adeline!" She smiled with delight. "Hi." I smiled awkwardly. "Pack a bag and meet us outside." She demands. "Us? Wait, pack a bag? why would I-" but she cuts me off. "Just do it." She sighs, stepping sideways only to reveal Kat's moms van filled with Alaina, Jasper, Kat, Cody, Ian, Malory, Jessica and Paris all smiling happily and waving to me. I smiled with more relief. Waving to them, I spun on my heels to go pack. Another trip. This will be exciting.

    Running up my stairs, I made my way to my room with excitement. Flinging open my door, I tossed a bag onto my sloppily made bed. Grabbing anything I see fit, I flung items and clothes by random into the now jam packed bag. The bag overflowing with random shirts and shorts, I stuffed them clumsily, zipping it. I ran downstairs and out the door, locking it behind me.

    I ran across my front lawn, hopping into Kats van. Flinging my bag into the trunk, I smiled sincerely. "So where are we going this time?" I slowed my breaths of excitement."camping." Cody turned from the front seat. "Oh. Awesome!" I smiled wider. I sat between Alaina and Jessica, Alaina holding Jaspers hand and same with Jessica to Ian. I loved coming together with them again, all of my friends on another adventure, as always. "Where are we camping?" I asked. "You'll see." Kat carefully turned the steering wheel. "Okay." I sighed. I hated surprises. Alaina nudged me. "You excited for summer?" She asked casually. "Of course I am!" I smiled more. "Are you?"  I added. "Yes." She smiled at Jasper, meeting his eyes. He smiled back. "How adorable." I said sarcastically.

    We made our way into steep hills and roads, deep in mountains far from home. "Are you sure you know where your going, Kat?" Paris raised an eyebrow. "Don't question my mad skills." Kat eyed the road with determination. "Okay." Paris chimed. "Does this place have cell service?" Cody complained, raising his phone into the air. "I doubt it." Malory sighed from the backseat. "Just be grateful." Kat purses her lips with unison. "Fine." Cody narrowed his eyes at her. She pecked his cheek and then returned her eyes to the road.

    I glanced at Ian. "You haven't talked much." I questioned him. "I don't have anything to talk about." He twiddled with Jessica's fingers. She smiled shyly. "Oh, okay." I smiled. All of my worries from the past year seemed to have vanished with one last sigh. Relaxing my head against the back of the seat, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Beatrice offered me a snack. I took it gratefully. "Thanks." I nodded to her, biting into some chips. She smiled in return.

     After many hours of driving, we ended up deep into woods. There was already a tent there. "Does anyone else camp here?" I asked. "It's a surprise." Kats dimples popped out. We all flowed swiftly out of the van, analyzing the mossy trees, sun rays, soft blades of grass, and clouds bouncing from one side of the horizon to the other. It reminded me of a scene from a movie. A group of people exited the tent.

    I screamed with joy, running to hug them. It was Todd, Pheonix, Jordan and Zack. Not all of them, but some of our friends we had met in California. All except Kat, dropping their bags to surround them with hugs and welcomes. "I can't believe you guys are here!" Paris laughed joyously. "Did you plan this?" Cody smirked at Kat. "Maybe." She smiled, rocking on her heels. "I love you!" He ran to her, wrapping his arms around her and sweeping her off her feet, spinning in a circle. She giggled playfully. "I love you, too." She whispered into his shoulder.

    Ian set up the tent, Jessica sitting on a stump beside him telling him a story. Zack began collecting wood for a fire, Pheonix joining him. I applied some sunscreen even though I didn't really burn. Trees danced with the wind, little helicopter leaves spinning softly to the ground. Paris sat on a log beside Malory, both listening to music from a radio Beatrice had brought along. "This is great, Kat. Thank you." Beatrice smiled gratefully. "No biggy." Kat brushed it off. Todd and Jordan were fake fighting from the corner of my eye.

    Suddenly, Cody gasped from behind a bush. "Guys! Come look at this!" He swallowed hard. We all dropped what we were doing to see what Cody was talking about. When my eyes met with what Cody was gasping about, my jaw dropped. "No way!" Jasper bellowed.