Chapter 21: Broken Hearts

''Don't you ever say those words again,'' Lucy heard her lion say. She slowly looked up and realized that Loke is crying. Her heart cringed. ''Don't you ever just give up on us like that!'' he continued.

Lucy realized what he was talking about. It was her supposed last thoughts when the arrows were about to pierce her. Tears welled her eyes. He's right. How could she just give up like that? ''I'm so sorry,'' she told him. It was an apology to all her Celestial Spirits. She had thought she would really die a just while ago.

She replayed what happened. The arrows were about to be planted in her flesh when a bright familiar light glowed before her. It was Loke. He caught the arrows through his hands in an unbelievable speed. The arrows vanished in his grasps. Lucy did not know how she ended up in his arms. She only realized that he was carrying her when they appeared to where he is standing now. Tears uncontrollably flowed to her cheeks. She wanted to stop it but was not able to do so.

Loke hugged her tight – trying to comfort her. Lucy hugged him back and said again, ''I'm sorry.''

''Shhh,'' Loke whispered. ''You're fine now milady. You're prince is here. You'll be safe now. I won't let them hurt you Lucy,'' he said with so much conviction that it made Lucy cry further. She soaked his coat in tears.

''Always take care Lucy,'' she heard Horologram say before he vanished.

Then she felt Virgo appear beside them. She looked at her and saw that Virgo is crying too. Virgo wiped her tears. ''Punish me whenever you like. However you want. But not like that hime,'' she said. "How could you give us away just like that?'' the maiden said as tears flooded her eyes again. ''Or should I punish you perhaps hime?'' Virgo added.

''I'm so sorry Virgo. I did not mean it that way. I just thought that I am –'' Virgo cut her off. Lucy understood that what the maiden was trying to say is that she should not give up hope. She could feel how she made her spirits so worried and sad.

Loke carefully made her stand, and eyed her; checking if she has any wounds.

''You're not allowed to go yet hime. You'll be here and have children and grandchildren with brother first,'' Virgo said.

''Right!'' Loke immediately approved. And pulled Lucy close to him.

Lucy blushed, but their words made her smile. ''How could you say such things,'' she said as she spaced away from Loke and wiped Virgo's tears.

''Would you punish me hime?'' Lucy laughed at that and hugged Virgo. Virgo looked away at first but was not able to contend her feelings and hugged her beloved friend and master back. Virgo then vanished back to the spirit world after a while.

Aries then suddenly appeared. Followed by all her spirits except Aquarius. They had been so worried and wanted to see for themselves that Lucy is safe. When they had all gone back to the celestial spirit world (except for Loke), she thought that Aquarius would not really show up. But then, she felt the mermaids power and she appeared before her with a pissed off look.

''Tsk. Do you want me to just wash away all of you?!!'' the mermaid yelled. ''Brat, for your information I don't want to be summoned in muddy water and you might be giving me up to someone who is even dumber than you!!!''

''Gomenasai (I'm sorry).'' Is all that Lucy could say.

''Do that again and I'll kill you thrice,'' Aquarius said and vanished. Even the mermaid was actually so worried but she had always tried to hide that she actually cared for Lucy.

Then Erza and the others reached her. Erza immediately gave Lucy a tight hug that she almost cannot breathe. Natsu hugged Happy and Gray thanked Loke for doing what they were not able to do. At that all of them looked at him with gratitude and respect in their eyes.

Then, as Natsu realized that Loke's dangerous aura is still there, he challenged him. ''Fight me Loke!'' he demanded. Loke gave him a punch to answer his wish. Natsu was blown yards away.

''Don't encourage him,'' Lucy chided. Then she thanked him for saving her.

Loke smiled widely and said, ''you don't have to thank me. It's my duty to protect you. That is the reason why I am still alive.'' He cupped her cheeks and leaned closer to her; as if for a kiss. Gray and Erza (I hope Jellal would do that too she said in her mind) turned red in embarrassment.

'He surely has his way around women,'' Gray thought.

'I hope Jellal would do that too,' Erza said in her mind.

''He lllikes her!'' Happy said rolling his tongue. ''Cute couple! Cute couple! Cute couple!'' he said again and again as if he himself was not about to die just a while ago.

Lucy's breathing picked up and her face was as red as Erza's hair. Loke closed his eyes and Lucy was just frozen still. They all thought he would really kiss her but he just touched his forehead to hers. Then he just hugged her tight; as if ensuring that she is really there. Lucy hugged him back. She would have died if he did not save her. He deserved a hug at least. Loke contentedly smiled and kissed her hair.

''Just kiss her already,'' Gray said pretending not to look.

Natsu came rushing back and yelled at Loke to fight him. This time it is Erza who kicked him away. ''Dumbass! Know when to ruin a moment and when not to! You should not be interrupting.''

Author's Note:

Some lines here are directly quoted from the original fairy tail anime/manga series of Hiro Mashima.

-Dia

Next Chapter: Never Enrage a Lion