Chapter 48: Convincing Powers

''Women are so unfair to have such convincing power's aren't they,'' Wakaba commented as they watched Loke and Lucy.

''Right. They would hurt us so much but with just a few sweet words they would make us smile again and we would forget what they did,'' Macao added.

''Like what Lucy is doing to him now. She is bewitching him,'' another said.

''Do not give up Loke. Make her kiss you first,'' another one added.

''Will all of you just shut up and watch. This is the best part,'' Erza said and went back to listening at the two.

''That's more like it. You look cute when you smile,'' Lucy said and Loke shined like a cat. Her expression turned cutely apologetic. ''Look, I'm sorry for all the things I've said back there. I wanted to apologize and explain to you earlier but I did not have the chance to talk to you. Please forget that I said those words. All of it are to drive Prince Zafir away,'' she explained.

''Really?'' Loke said with hopeful eyes. He really wanted those words not to be true.

''Yes. If I had not said those he must have been pursuing me until now. I am truly sorry that I have made you suffer so much in personally hearing those from me,'' Lucy apologized again.

''You protected him from me,'' Loke said with a mope. He was still unconvinced.

''That's it. Do not forgive her yet!'' Macao and Wakaba cheered.

''Jerks,'' Erza scolded them.

Lucy pinched Loke's cheeks. ''I did not know you looked so cute when you act like that,'' she giggled. ''It's not like I'm protecting that jerk. Sorry for forcing you to hold back. But if I had not stopped you, you could have killed the prince with a punch,'' Lucy cleared.

''Well that would be for the best. How dare he insult you like that? I do not care if he is a prince. Another prince should teach a lesson to the likes of him. You really just protected him,'' Loke said as he crossed his arms. He has to know if that prince and his beloved Lucy had something between them. He felt guilty for making Lucy apologize to him for several times. He was still not used to her warm treatment.

Lucy ruffled his hair. ''Geez, I would have loved it if you thrashed him but that would be dangerous. That could be a start of war. Just a punch to him would be a grave insult to their country. Even if his own country do not like him that much, he is still one of their royalty. They might not just attack Magnolia but even the whole of Fiore. They have that kind of power.''

''Even so. We would stop them before they could attack,'' Loke muttered.

Hearing of a fight, Natsu who had been busy eating the whole time suddenly got interested. ''Right, fairy tail would stand by you. Maybe I myself would be enough to thrash them all,'' he agreed with Loke.

''Dumbass, don't suddenly speak up when you haven't been paying attention the whole time,'' Gray shut him out.

''Natsu do not talk when your mouth is full,'' Lisanna scolded.

''Loke since when did you become so unreasonable,'' Lucy chided.

''That is since you said you love to be by his side,'' the stellar lion puckered.

''That is just part of the lie,'' Lucy countered.

''You would have married him if only I did not exists. You would have loved to give him a son worthy of the throne,'' Loke said with a hurt expression.

The people in the guild looked at each other. If Lucy had said those words in front of Loke, then that must have been really painful. They finally understood why the cheerful Lion suddenly sobered. If it was them they would not accept Lucy's apologies so easily. Who would feel good personally witnessing and hearing your woman talk with a man about getting married and having a child?

''I'm truly sorry okay. I was just bluffing that time. I could not even stand Zafir, why would I marry him? Let alone have a child with him.'' Lucy grimaced. 'I would rather have it to be you,' she said to Loke but just in her mind. 'Kyah! What did I just say? That's not me.' She face-palmed. Why did Loke have to take everything she said so seriously?

As if not hearing Lucy's explanation, Loke still moped. ''And even if I ... suff-'' he did not continue what he was about to say. He looked outside the window again. But Lucy already understood what it was. Loke said instead, ''you would have chosen him over me. Even if I . . .'' he paused. Hurt is apparent on his face.

'How could I have inflicted this to Loke,' Lucy clasp her hands. She knew that Loke was thinking; that what she meant by her words is that she wouldn't have surrendered herself to him even if Loke had suffered so much when he was drugged as long as she would be able to preserve herself for Zafir. She remembered the ardent night with her Lion. The thought that it would be Zafir doing that with her made her want to vomit. She really would rather do those naughty things with Loke rather than with Zafir. If only she could say that so this silly Lion would stop sulking.

Their guild mates felt sympathy for Loke. They never saw such hurt facial expression on his face. He was always cheerful and smiling. That pained expression does not suit him.

''Well never mind I said that. It might be too late to say this but if you left me alone that time, that could have been for the best. I realized that I forced you to go through hell,'' Loke said weakly. He did not look at her in the eye.

Everyone was confused at what he was saying. They were further dumbfounded when Lucy suddenly slapped him. The guild became silent.

Next Chapter: Lover's Quarrel