<36>

"Alexandria!"
"Oh my god, mom!" I screeched, dropping my bag and running over to my mom. I haven't seen her in nineteen years. I was really happy to see her.
"Mom? Do you mind if my friend stays here for a day or two until her parents get back from vacation?"
"Yeah, that's perfectly fine!"
My mom looked so young. She had long, blonde hair, she was really skinny and her skin was practically perfect.
"And you are?" She asked Tara.
"I'm Tara. It's nice to meet you miss-" she drafted off.
"Murray" I finished for her. Yup, that was my real last name. Alexandria Nicole Murray.
"Okay. It's late so we are all going to eat dinner and go to bed. We can all chat tomorrow when I get back from work. So you two go unpack what you need to and come back down for dinner in thirty minutes"
"Alright. I'm just going to run to the drug store to get uh- stuff. You and Tara can talk for now. Do you mind if I borrow your car?"
"Yeah that's fine honey"
***
Last night was pretty fun. We ate dinner and I talked to my mom about my adoption family and how I'm living with Ricky in California. I haven't told her about Connor yet.
My mom left for work about ten minutes ago, leaving Tara and I just sitting in the living room.
"Hey, you want to watch a movie?"
"Sure, which one?"
"How about a classic, 'Shes Having My Baby'?"
"Uh- why that movie?"
"Don't you love it? You always cry while watching it, especially when she's having the babyyy"
"How about we just watch Harry Potter or something?"
"Alright, listen-" Tara started, sitting down next to me, "-we need to talk about what I found in the trash can last night when I went to pee"
"What was that exactly?"
"Alexis, you know what I'm talking about"
I just looked at the blank TV.
"Alexis. I know it was yours. It couldn't've been your moms because it was in your bathroom. I know you're pregnant"
I looked at Tara, tears welling up in my eyes. She pulled me into a hug and started running my back as I cried in her shoulder.
"It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay"
***
"Alright, now that Tara is home and I'm back from work, lets catch up"
"Do you have cotton candy ice cream? I'm suddenly craving it"
"Actually, yes I do. In the freezer"
"Okay, I'll be back in a second"
I grabbed the tub of ice cream and a big spoon and headed back out.
"Do you eat like this all the time?"
"No"
"Okay? Anyway, tell me about your life. What have I been missing these past nineteen years?"
"Well, nothing really. I'm a beauty YouTuber for a living. I have an amazing boyfriend-"
"Oh! Tell me about him!"
"His name is Connor. He makes YouTube videos like me, but comedic ones. He's super sweet, and I love him to pieces"
"You must really love him since he's the father of your baby!" She screeched.
"Wait, how did you know"
"Oh, c'mon. Look at what you're eating. It's obvious"
"Really?"
"Tara told me"
"That makes more sense. But, you're happy? You're not going to kill me?"
"No, of corse not! I'm happy for you! My baby is having a baby"
"How am I supposed to tell him? What if he just leaves? Mom, I'm scared"
"He won't leave you if he loves you. Trust me"
Then my phone rang. Oh, what perfect timing.
"Hi Connor!" I said into the phone.
"Hi! I miss you already" he responded.
"'Me too. Um- I have to tell you something"
"What is it?"
"Um- I- uh- I got you a new beanie!"
"Oh really? Thanks"
"You're welcome. I've got to go. I'll call you tonight. Love you"
"Love you too. Bye"
"Bye"
I hit the end button and looked at my mom, giving her an awkward smile.
"C'mon" she said, getting up.
"Where are we going?" I asked, following her.
"We're going to the mall"
"Why?"
"To get a beanie"