35- Extended family tree

~*🌸*~
~Silver's pov~

"And... That's the story." Emma sighed, her head hung low in shame.

I rested my hand on her shoulder in attempt to comfort my little sister, she looked up at me with her sapphire blue eyes filled with guilt and regret down to every amethyst coloured fleck. "Don't worry, it'll work out."

She sighed, shaking her head. "It always works out Silver. Eventually, it will stop working out. I'm meant to be stronger then this, I'm meant to be the hero, so why am I always so... Weak." She squeezed her eyes shut, looking away from me.

"Emma..." I started, unsure how to comfort my sister. "You're not weak, bad guys just don't play by the rules the way you do..."

"But I meant to protect you!"

"No you're not, I can handle myself Emma. You don't always need to worry yourself about me."

"But I do!" She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. "I don't have any other family Silv... If I lost you, I'd never forgive myself!"

"Emma..." I said, gently pulling my little sister into my arms. "I know you see it as your job to keep me safe, but it's my job to watch out for you. You're my little sister okay, you're not responsible for looking after me."

She shook her head before burying her face in my coat, holding onto me tightly. "But it's all my fault! If I weren't stuck with being the stupid Voice of Purity then none of this would ever have happened! I wouldn't be having to fight for my life every other day of the week and I wouldn't be putting you and Red in danger and I'd never had anything I was meant to live up to."

There wasn't much I felt I could say, Emma was... Hard to talk to. She got overly sensitive easily and was stubborn to the core. "I don't care what I have to go through Em, I will always be there for you. No one can help who you are, and as long as I'm your older brother, I will never stop trying to keep you safe. I know we don't have the typical relationship for most brothers and sisters, but I do love you Em and I don't care how often I need to fight as long as I'm fighting with you."

My little sister looked up at me, her eyes searching mine for any trace of a lie but when she found none she hugged me tighter, bursting into tears, sobbing lightly into my chest. I awkwardly patted her back before returning her hold until she soon cried herself to sleeping .

I sighed in relief, leaning back against the cell wall.

"Is she asleep?" Red asked, unable to see us from his distance.

"Yeah." I sighed in response. "I don't think she's slept properly in a while."

Red didn't say anything for a moment. "I'll take first watch, you get some sleep Silv."

"Silver." I corrected him. "Only Emma gets the privilege of nicknames."

Even though I couldn't see him, I knew Red was rolling his eyes. I'd never been a nickname person in general and Emma was the only person who could get away with calling me by anything but my given name.

For a while I sat there with Emma sleeping I my arms, just thinking about stuff, most importantly, how we'd all get out of here. Although I have yet to tell my sister about it, Red and I had managed to escape a few days ago but it took mere minutes for the two of us to be cornered in the maze like complex we were being held captive within. We'd both been 'punished' for it, the both of us being beaten to the brink of unconsciousness before being thrown back into our cells at square one. It was only a few days ago now and most of our cuts and bruises still showed, no doubt also worrying Emma.