51- The testing ends

~Red's pov~

As expected, Emma didn't sleep for more then a few hours before her nightmares roused her. She bolted up with a terrified scream before the pain of her broken body forced her to curl up with a groan of agony. I gently rubbed her arm, still somewhat groggy as I'd been asleep only seconds before but I was able to pull through enough to comfort my girlfriend. She mumbled something under her breath, repeating it a few times over and it took me a moment to figure out she was just telling herself she had a nightmare and what she saw wasn't real.

Her muscles had tensed up, spasming around her injured bones and joints in effort to keep them still while her body worked at healing them. I was aware that at this point, Emma had not been given anything to help with the pain she was no doubt in. She whimpered in attempt to prevent herself from crying out as her hand meekly suck out mine to hold. I made it easy for her by taking Emma's hand within my own. She squeezed onto it tightly, not about to let go anytime soon.

Emma didn't say anything at all, she just stared at out joined hands with a pained, absent expression. It remained this way for some time, about an hour if I had to guess before Kathrine entered the room. Unlike last time, she did so quietly with the Audino that had tended to Emma earlier trailing behind her as well as two grunts and their Scizzor. Emma flinched, tensing up further as she knew the vulnerability of her current situation.

Serenity came up beside Emma, giving her a reassuring smile as she proceeded to check her vital signs while Kathrine supervised. The Audino said something to Emma quietly, holding her wrist to check her pulse.

"Grunts, take the boy back to his cell." She muttered as I looked up at her with a frown, Kathrine was looking over notes on her clipboard so she didn't see my unapproved look. "He's not needed at this time."

Emma squeezed my hand tighter. "I want Red to say!" She protested, her voice still slightly horse from last night.

"Too bad." Kathrine replied firmly. "He already stayed with you for the night and I warn you not to push it Emma, I allowed it because it was a slip in my security measures that allowed you to be put in this precarious position. I can make things worse for you without jeopardising my own plans."

A growl came from Emma throat and I knew she was ready to snap back but I cut her off. "It's okay Emma, I'll go." I didn't want my girlfriends position to get any worse then it was but she wasn't willing to give me up easily so I had to comply for her.

"But I want you here..." She whimpered quietly, hugging my hand close to her damaged chest. "Cyrus will come back!"

Kathrine stepped in, taking my hand away from from Emma with a violet jerk that caused Emma to cry out in pain. "You're perfectly safe Emma, stop being such a baby and act your age."

Emma snarled at Kathrine, glaring harshly at her biological mother but again I spoke before she did. "Just let us say goodbye then?" I sighed to Kathrine, knowing it would make Emma more willing to let me go.

"No." She replied as the grunts took my arms, narrowing her eyes. "It's not like this will be the last time you two love birds see each other."

I sighed but let the grunts take me, knowing that Emma would only continue to fight as long as I was in the room and although I didn't want to leave Emma alone, Kathrine obviously wasn't going to cave on this. My girlfriend whimpered slightly but Serenity was close to her side and would no doubt do her best to fill my position.