Chapter 28 Dwalins Proposal, Steves Assignments

Everyone had been talking at once about this plan to keep the Durins safe, but Dwalin had been watching Natasha, he wanted to see if this 'Hawkeye' person had any legitimate claim to her before he asked her to stay. It was more than obvious to him that she felt nothing for the archer other than friendship. Whether the archer wanted something more was entirely his problem. Dwalin wasn't the only one watching. Since Dwalin was one of his favorite characters, and he turned out to be a very decent Dwarf. Logan decided to give him a bit of info on Natasha.

"You know Natasha is the type of girl who likes to be direct. If she feels something for you she'll tell you. And Believe me, she has feelings for you."

Dwalin looked at the tall mutant. "How do you know, Lad?"

Logan smirked and pointed to his nose. "The nose knows." Dwalin snorted, where had he heard that before? And she was never wrong. Logan continues "She just reeks of love every time she looks at you, the same thing with you Bub."

Now Thorin told Dwalin about that one. That gave Dwalin more courage to do what he was going to do. Life was too short especially a human.

"Thank you, Logan." Dwalin patted him on the back and made his way toward Natasha.

He touched her elbow to get her attention. An electric charge went through Natasha at Dwalin's touch. That had never happened to her with any man before. She turned and smiled at Dwalin. A smile that just melted his heart.

"I must speak with you, Lass, could we go outside?" She smiled again, her heart was racing.

Natasha was actually hoping that Dwalin would ask her to stay. She would say yes in a heartbeat. Now she understood Alina's love for Thorin. They walked passed many tents and soldiers until Dwalin was satisfied they were far enough away. He asks her to sit, Dwalin took a deep breath and began.

"Natasha, I was told that you are a direct person, as am I. So I am just going to come out and say it. I am in love with you. The minute I laid eyes on you I knew you were my One. I'd like you to stay here with me. Allow me the honor of courting you and then if you'll have me, marry you."

Natasha was stunned at so much information. She needed a minute to process it. "Give me just a minute."

Could she leave her world for good, settle down with the Dwarf that she loves and have children? Yes, yes she could. The spy and Avenger thing were getting old now. Time to try something better. Besides she wouldn't be alone. Her best friend would be here. She turned to Dwalin, grabbed him by the face and kissed him fiercely.

When they broke apart she whispered in his ear, "Yes and I love you too."

Dwalin was so happy he nearly dropped the bead he had clutched in his hand. He explains the significance of the courting bead to her and she of course accepted. Dwalin braided an intricate design in her hair and at the end clasped the silver bead that he had made a long time ago. A bead he thought he would never use. They walked hand in hand back to the tent.

Thorin and Alina teleported back into the tent holding hands fingers intertwined told everyone everything was fine between them. Logan sniffed, he quirked an eyebrow. He could barely pick up the scent of...

"Shut up!" Alina whispered to him softly that only he heard.

She forgot about Lord Elrond who suddenly coughed when he figured out the meaning. Alina blushed very lightly.

"Has Tony returned yet?"

It had been about 45 minutes. Steve got on the communicator "Tony, what's your status?"

There was silence for a minute then. "I'll be there in 15 minutes." Tony answered, "Give the communicator to my brother, I need to talk to him."

Tony was by no means mistaken. He had made a conscious decision to leave off the in-law when referring to Thorin. After the trust, Thorin had placed in him with this mission. Tony felt that Thorin could now be another person he could add to his trust list as well.