6; What Do We Fight For?

'drugs' by EDEN

"Till my chest is on fire and my head just won't die."

The room Klaus made for me was quite unlike the one from Montana. I think he learned that those girly colors were very unsatisfactory to me. This one had a range of dark reds and light greys.

I thought it was strange to wake up in red sheets instead of my grey ones from back home. This morning was slow, I woke up, but texted Elena. We talked about Jeremy leaving today and about some stuff she might drop off before school started.

A knock at the door sounded and I sprinted from my room, down the steps, and past Klaus who was ready to open the door. I leaped into Elena's arms and gave her a large hug. "I missed you too," she laughed.

"Got the stuff I asked for?" I ask.

"Yep. Sketchbooks, books, pencils, all of it," she told me.

"Can you drive me to the school? I'll get ready and be downstairs in a minute," I tell her. I run upstairs and pull my hair into a messy bun. Klaus walked into my room and raised an eyebrow.

"I think that you should sign out of school today," Klaus told me.

"What? No way. I want to get into a good college." I tell him shaking my head. I grabbed my makeup bag and went into the bathroom, Klaus following me. I began my normal makeup routine.

"I can pay for an online school. Public school will make people question things, and when people question things, they get nosy. We don't want their noses in our business now, don't we?" Klaus asked.

"What would I care?" I ask.

"Maybe to snuff out those nosy people, I can kill them," Klaus shrugged.

I froze and spun around, putting a finger into his chest. "You wouldn't dare," I hiss.

"Well, I would if you went to that high school of yours," Klaus smirked.

"Fine. I'll sign out," I whisper, turning around to put on mascara, finishing my look for today. Klaus looked as if he were to say more, but he left it be and left. I sighed and got dressed in a t-shirt and jeans, lacing up a pair of vans.

I grabbed a bag and shoved my phone and wallet inside.

I ran down stairs and passed Klaus again. "Be back after school," Klaus ordered me.

"No promises, psycho," I mutter. Klaus grabbed my arm and turned me around to look into my eyes.

"Harper," Klaus said firmly.

"It's Caroline's birthday today, Klaus. I'm staying for her party," I sneer.

Klaus's jaw visibly clenched. "Harper-" Klaus growled.

"No. No, you are going to give me this one day of freedom before I am put behind glass forever," I hiss.

Klaus searched my eyes then let me go. I turned around and walked out the door to Elena's car. I got in the passenger side and barked at her to drive. She started to drive, but was silent.

"What happened in there?" she finally asked.

"Nothing. He's just a dick," I tell her.

"When is he not?" She asks.

"Good point. He told me that I have to drop out today," I sigh.

"What! No! He can't do that!" she yelled.

"He threatened to kill someone, Elena. I have to," I mutter to her.

"Why does he have to do this to you? Why did you offer yourself up?" she asked.