The Devil Catches Fire

Elijah was washing a pan that we would use to make our breakfast. Camille sat on the couch, reading a book. I sat above Eden watching play on the floor. I smiled at her small noises and attempts to get to my level.

One thing lead to another, and she grabbed the tablecloth, causing a trinket to fall down to her and shatter into a million pieces on the floor. Elijah rushed over to me as I picked her up and held her protectively. I kissed her cheek and listened to her cry, I comforted her.

"She grabbed the tablecloth and that knickknack fell on her." I told Elijah through Eden's crying. "It's just a scratch." I pout at little Eden. I feel so sorry for her as I looked at the gash on her forehead. 

Elijah's face held dread as he looked at wailing Eden. "Elijah? Elijah." I call out to him. "Yes. Forgive me. Um." Elijah gulped at looked at me with a sad look. Eden continued to wail as I held her.

Camille came downstairs at the sound of Eden crying and Elijah grabbed Eden from my hands, tending to her small wound. I told Camille what happened with Elijah lowly in the other room. We came back into the room to see Elijah putting a colorful bandaid over Eden's gash.

"It's a trigger. You pulled yourself back, which is improvement for sure." Cami started as Elijah picked up Eden and handed her to me. "But we can't ignore the fact that your mind clearly went elsewhere. It's very common in traditional PTSD patients. You've done the work to face your atrocities. Truth is, it's going to take some time to settle." Camille explained.

"You believe you have the power to resolve this?" Elijah stated.

"I do." I state, setting Eden in her play crib. "Elijah, you are one badass immortal Original Vampire with so many demons chasing after you. I'm surprised it's taken this long for you to realize that they're behind you. What I know about Camille is that she's one badass therapist that can make anyone feel normal." I tell him.

"Here's the thing, Harper. You have no demons. Even if you do, there is barely any." Elijah stated.

"You know that's not true. All the demons that we have are raised up with us. I happen to have two set of parents that died in front of me. My sister was a doppelganger tortured by the one I love, and is now a vampire. Should I go on? What I'm trying to say, is that demons catch up with us sometimes, kick us in the chest, and give us more struggle than we already have." I explain.

"That's why I came up with this." Camille smiled and pulled out a piece of paper and unfolded it. "Staying mentally busy  instead of physically. This house, though charming, is completely falling apart." She states, handing the paper to Elijah.

He takes it and reads it over. "So this is your solution? Mend the home, mend the man." Elijah sighed. "Or we could go fishing and I could tell you about the summer I lost my virginity." Cami smiled. "I'll mend the home." Elijah said quickly.

"I'll spend the day with Eden and you spend the day thinking. And you, Harper, are taking the day off. You need a break from taking care of Eden. Do something you love. Cook, read, or whatever." She tells me with a smile. 

"Cam-"

"Nope.

"Wai-"

"Nuh-uh."

"Let-"

"I know you want to take care of her, but if you do it without a single break, you'll snap." Cami tells me. "I sleep." I huff. "That isn't counted as a break, Harper. Have a good day you two." She smiles at us grabbing Eden and the diaper bag by the front door before leaving.

I sigh. "This is going to be kind of hard." I tell him. "You have to do nothing all day, Harper. I wouldn't consider that as hard." Elijah smiled at me. "Hey, being a mother and living with your family all the time isn't easy all the time. Me, the most lazy girl in the world, turned into a murderous, diaper changing, busybody." I scoff.