10; The Shattered Girl

'Skinny Love' by Bon Iver

"In the morning I'll be with you,

but it will be a different kind."

I had a pit in the bottom of my stomach as I watched Alaric get his MRI. Elena, Meredith, and I watched from behind the glass in the back room as the brain scan began to pop up on the computer screen.

"So, what are we supposed to see?" I asked Meredith.

"I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies. Anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it," Meredith nodded solemnly.

"And if it's not?" Elena and I asked together, causing Meredith to crease her brow at us.

"Well, then we'll deal with that, too," she assured us.

"When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all those people?" Elena asked.

"It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered a story my had grandmother told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal," Meredith answered. "I don't know if you know this, but we Fell's are notorious busybodies," Meredith smiled.

"Why did you protect him?" I asked.

"Because I'm a doctor. I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And, because when he and I first met I felt like, I don't know, I just kind of want to help him," Meredith smiled reassuringly. Alaric began to struggle in the machine. "Everything alright in there?" Meredith asked over the intercom.

"Yeah," he replied. "Yeah, everything's okay."

___________

Once the MRI was over, Alaric was released into a hospital room to change. I left to the Grill where Klaus wanted to meet. I found him sitting at a table with a small smile on his face. I rolled my eyes, and sat in the chair across from him.

"Did you miss me?" I asked jokingly.

"I did, love. How's Alaric?" Klaus asked.

"Not so good. Turns out that the Gilbert's have an ancestor that wore the Ric's ring before him and she kind of went nuts," I explained and plucked a napkin off the table.

"Point is, he's killing people subconsciously. My week has been hell," I tell him with a heavy sigh.

"Definitely," the hybrid chuckles.

"I'm going to stay another day or two, just to see if everyone has him under control," I sighed grabbing a pen from the center piece.

"If you need anything at all, I'm just a call away," Klaus assured me.

"I know," I smile, beginning to sketch on the napkin. "By the way, about that sketchbook..." I smirked and Klaus sighed smiling, "you didn't get my nose right," I teased with a laugh. Klaus chuckled and shook his head. I bit my lip and smiled, looking to the napkin.

"What are you drawing?" Klaus asked.

"A cartoon for Matt. I've been leaving them for him since the first day he began working here," I explained simply. I held up a goofy looking character on the napkin. Klaus laughed out.

"That's actually quite good!" he exclaimed.

"Well, I try," I smile. "Wanna order?" I asked.

"What do you want?" he asked.

"I think we need to try their double chocolate devil cake. I think it's fitting, don't you?" I smirked.

"You have a good point, love," Klaus called Matt over and ordered.