Chapter 53 Letters from home

AN/ Thanks for all the replies and votes. They really keep me going.
Keep in mind that we are wrapping up this story but Harry's story is never really told completly. I hope to get this story finished soon as I am also planning to begin work on a complete story of my own. Hope you all like the chapter.
END AN/

Chapter 53 Letters from home

Harry had left his aunt in the parlor they had talked about Dudley and the paintings. She had been so scared when she found out that there would be a painting of her sister and brother in law also in the house she would be staying in. This day could not had gone worse for her. She almost lost her son, had lost her husband and now was in a house where her dead sister would give her a piece of her mind whenever she walked into the wrong room.

Harry and Ginny had left for Hogwarts as it was still a schoolweek and they needed to get back. Harry had pulled some strings and had found out that the headmaster of Dudley's school was a wizard and told his aunt he would make sure to tell him that Dudley was ill and not attending school that week perhaps even longer. He would return to the manor in a few days as he had some finals to do and till than the elves had sealed all rooms with paintings. Dudley didn't like that as he had been eager to talk to his aunt again but he understood. When Harry returned to the school he went straight to McGonnagal's office. After he was aloud to enter he opened the door. "Thank you for getting the aurors so fast there and thank you for the help you have given me today." Harry said. "How is your cousin?" Minerva asked. "Poppy said something about Ginny saving his life?" She added. Harry nodded. Than he told her what had happened after they had left the castle. Minerva listened to Harry tell his story. She noticed the discomfort that the young man in front of her now felt for him protecting his aunt. The same woman that had hated him for his whole life. She knew Harry well enough that when he had some time to think about it he would make up his mind that she deserved a second chance and that Dudley needed his mother. She had never been so proud of a student/colleague than she was now of Harry ,and when Harry had left she told the painting of Albus so.

Harry tried to study the next few days for his final exam but he was so detracted by what had happened he could not concentrate. It was his best topic by far so he didn't worry to much by what Sirius would trough at them in Dada. He just hoped his aunt and Dudley would be fine. Madam Pomfrey had visited Dudley the following 2 days and Harry was surprised by her when she told him his aunt had said she was sorry for the way she had reacted the first time. Harry was glad that his aunt was coming to terms with herself and what had happened and how people would see her and that she was trying to change that. On the day of Harry's exam an owl flew in and landed near him. It was holding 2 letters addressed to him. When he opened the first one a big smile appeared. It was from Dudley whishing him good luck with his exam and to tell him that he and his mother were fine and that thanks to Harry he and her were now talking more like adults and were getting closer again. When he opened the second letter the smile even grew wider, it was from his aunt. "Dear Harry," he read. " I hope you are well and want to wish you good luck with your exam that you are having today. I know that we have a lot to work on and that it is my fault that we are in this position but i still wanted to wish you luck. Also to Ginny the best of luck with this exam. Please thank her from me again. She is a great girl Harry and I know that your mother would have loved her as much , as I do. (Can you believe me when I say you that I never thought I would say that or say to you that I really love you.)

I hope you get home soon so I can have a chat with my sister and explain her some things.(and get a big telling off by her no doubt)

Sincerely

Aunt Petunia"

He laughed out loud. He had never knew that his aunt could be funny or that she had loved him. "Minerva can I please go over to Ginny and the others?" He asked.

McGonnagal looked at Harry. When she noticed the letters in his hand and the longing in his eyes she could not refuse. "Sure Harry but no running please." She said. Harry thanked her and left the table. He walked as fast as he dared to get to his friends. Ginny needed to see this. Hermione who was sitting beside Ginny noticed Harry walking up to them and shifted so he could sit in between the two girls. "You have got to read this." Harry said as he gave Ginny the letter from his aunt. Ginny read the letter and looked at Harry. "She loves both of us?" She asked bewildered. "You saved her son, what would you expect." Hermione said. "No it was different when I talked to her alone." Harry said. "I have the feeling to believe her that she always has loved me." He told the others. "Funny way of showing her love for you than mate." Ron said. In your second year they put bars on the window so you would not be able to get Hedwig out to get her food." He pointed out. "That was more my uncle than my aunt, now I think of it." Harry said. Ginny looked at Ron. "You are lucky we are in the great hall and not in the commenroom or I would have cursed you." She said to her brother. After that she got up and left, leaving the other three speechless. "What did I do?" Ron asked. Harry got up and went after Ginny. He also didn't know what made Ginny so angry but he was sure to find out. "Ginny wait." He yelled when he was out of the great hall. Ginny looked back and waited for him. Harry caught up with her and took her hand. They walked into grounds. "If you are here to tell me to give Ron a break than you can stop right away." Ginny said before Harry could even say a word. "No I was gonna ask what Ron said that made you so mad so he could apologize for it." Harry shot back. "I don't see the reason to be so mad but if you are than there has to be." He added. Ginny looked at him. "You don't see it do you?"

She asked him. Ginny could not believe it. "Your aunt is really trying to make aments with you and even writes you a letter." She started to explain. "All that my big brother does is tell you that she is only doing it because we saved her son. He was not there. He didn't see the way she treated us when we were at the manor. He wasn't even there when you had that talk over Christmas with them." Ginny was getting angrier and angrier. "He will not talk about my surrogate mother in law to be like that. I won't have it." Harry had not thought that Ginny would see his aunt that way so soon. He did understand his aunt a bit better than before but the way Ginny spoke about her was a bit to much for him for now.

"Gin I understand, but you weren't there when Ron, Fred and George came to get me at my second year. They had put bars in front of my windows." Harry started explaining. "No let me finish." He said as Ginny took some air to interrupt him. "I know now it was more my uncle but still. Even I find it hard to believe she changed so much in so little time. If I hadn't talked to her at home after what had happened to Dudley I also would believe she was just writing because of Dudley, not because she truly cared." Ginny took in what Harry had said to her. She still wanted to curse Ron for his remark. "I understand Harry," she said. "But it is still wrong, and I won't say I am sorry because I am not." Harry just laughed at her. "You don't need to say you are sorry," He said, "but you can not curse him either." He added with a smile. Ginny laughed at him. "He would look great with some bat-bogeys." She said. Harry could not help himself and just started laughing. They sat at their spot near the lake for some peace and quite time alone. Harry knew they had to get to their exams but they needed the fresh air first. After a few minutes they walked back inside and the could see the other students waiting. Ron and Hermione were looking a bit worried, when they spotted Harry and Ginny they came over. "Where have you two been, the exam is about to begin and if you two were not in you would have failed it." Hermione had been so worried that she even had started before Ron could have said anything.

"We just went out for some fresh air." Harry explained. "So calm down Hermione we are here now." At that moment the doors to the great hall opened and all the students went in, when Harry walked in he knew it would be for his last exam for Hogwarts.