Chapter Twelve

Niall’s POV:

The photographer called a wrap-up and thanked us all for our patience. I changed back into my regular clothes and went to go find Liam. He was chatting up some of the crew while they munched down on their own lunch. It reminded me of how hungry I was. One breakfast burrito was not enough. I sauntered up to him and stood next to him. He got my drift and said his goodbyes, squeezing shoulders and shaking hands. We walked back to where all of the cars were parked. Security followed closely behind us as always.

“You know lads, I think we’re gonna venture off on our own for a little while today.” Liam said with his boyish smile. “We’ll keep in touch, though.” He put his arm around my shoulder and led me to his car.

It was similar to mine but I’m sure it was a little more expensive. He got in the driver’s side and revved the engine. I put on my sunglasses and rolled down the windows a tiny bit. Liam drove out into traffic. I could have taken a nap right then and there... But my stomach said otherwise. I wanted to sink my teeth into a big juicy cheeseburger.

I tilted my head back and peered around in Liam’s car through the bottom of my sunglasses. It was cleanly and smelled lightly of a fruity scent. It must have been Liam’s old girlfriend, Danielle’s doing. I smiled to myself. His old girlfriend’s name is Danielle, and the girl I’ve just met is Danielle. I hoped that wouldn’t jinx anything.

We pulled into a parking lot and Liam got out and locked his car. I anticipated for a safe trip to the restaurant. I knew exactly where we were going. Liam and I went to a small diner together all the time. We knew the owner by name and the waiters and waitresses knew our usual orders. We paraded down the sidewalk at a quick pace, hopeful for no screaming fans.

We both made it safely and made our way into the tiny building. It didn’t look like much on the outside but the service was good and the food was even better. We sat down in a booth facing each other and we both picked up a menu. I already knew what I was getting but figured I would look anyway. The waitress came by and handed us our usual drinks. Liam had a soda and she set a pint down in front of me.

“The usual, boys?” She asked us. I could tell that she wasn’t from this part of town. Her accent spoke of a couple cities away.

“Eh, that’s what I would like.” I smiled and slid the menu across the table to her. “But, could I get a soda along with my pint?”

“Sure thing, love.” She picked up my menu. “Usual for you?” She directed towards Liam who was still eying the menu.

“Umm... Yeah I guess since I don’t see anything else that I want.” He chuckled and handed his menu to her. She then left us in each other’s company. “I know that you went out with someone last night.” Liam rubbed his head. “Why such a secret?”

“How do you know that I went out with anyone?” I brought the cold mug to my lips and swigged a couple drinks.

“Have you checked your Twitter? Or the recent buzz about us?” Liam half smiled. I could tell that he wasn’t really mad at me. He was just curious and wanted to protect me.

“No. What are they sayin’?” I raised my eyebrows and reached in my pocket for my phone.

“I would wait to check.” Liam started. “The stories aren’t bad it’s just the fans… you better be careful and know what you’re doing.”

“She’s not like you’re old girlfriend, Danielle!” I snapped at him. That took him back.

Liam’s POV:

That was just what I was afraid of. The whole idea of being famous and all of the hate wore her down. In some instances, it turned her whole life around and it was all my fault.