Chapter Thirty-Eight

Danielle’s POV:

It had been weeks since Niall and I had been official. That was kind of a dumb way to put things; but that was the only way that I could describe it. We had spent free nights with each other and busy mornings apart. I would be out getting supplies for his apartment and he would be off doing photo shoots or radio shows. He would call me on his way to a new destination or sometimes in a quiet hallway, away from all the hustle and bustle.

My personal favorite was when he would call me late at night when he had an early morning. Cat would be off to bring in the big bucks and I would sit and paint my nails or mull over how much I wished I had the rest of my wardrobe with me. My phone would go off and I would answer it. Before I had the chance to muffle a syllable into the receiver, he would mutter, “What’re ya wearin’?” I knew exactly where he was located inside his apartment. All the lights would be off and he would be under the covers of his large bed.

“Go to sleep.” I would start off our little game. “You have an early day tomorrow.”

He would groan and then mumble into the phone. “What’re ya wearin’?” His voice would be deeper than usual. I could feel my face flush every time he called me with that question. But I knew his face was redder than mine.

I would curl up underneath a blanket that smelled like Cat’s perfume, hairspray, and cigarette smoke and give Niall what he wanted to hear. Sounds of pleasure would hum through the phone as I described what I was wearing. It was pleasing to know that I turned him on. I mean, who wouldn’t be pleased?

Eventually I would get him off the line and lie on Cat’s bed in hope that he would fall asleep.

We hadn’t had much sex since that first time with him. I knew he was itching for intimate touch, but he never pushed me when I wasn’t in the mood. He wanted me to be just as much alive as he was.

I was waiting in line at a local shop. These were the last few things that needed to be picked up before I spent one long day at Niall’s apartment redecorating and trying my best to put things together. I planned on doing that the next day and I had to admit, I was antsy.

I told Niall to make plans for the entire day and to not come back until I told him to. He knew exactly what I was doing. I also knew that he wanted to be a part of the transformation process just as much as I was. I hoped he wouldn’t barge in.

Niall told me how I would soon be famous. Or in his words: “Soon you’ll turn this piece of shit bachelor pad into a flat that screams ‘Irish lad who loves to drink!’” I would roll my eyes at him but laugh at his enthusiasm. Then he would add: “He also has a girlfriend. This place should say that too.”

I giggled while I stood in line. I handed the cashier my items and she checked me out. I told her to have a nice day and then fished through my purse for my phone. I dialed Niall. “Hey babe.” We were only about a month into this, and things were rolling smoothly. Babe was what he usually called me. I guessed it was just his usual term of endearment. “Pick ya up in about ten minutes?” I could tell he was talking to me while he was driving.

“My hero.” I teased.

“Heya, I was thinkin’ that we could have a little housewarming party. Nothing too fancy. Wine for the ladies and beer for the lads. Just show a couple people the new place. Then maybe you could stay the night and we could… ya know… break in the new home.” His voice trailed off.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” I smiled into the phone.

I hung up just as a couple of photographers came my way. I smiled politely and gave a little wave just as Niall told me to.

News was already out about the two of us. Twitter was raging nonstop and fans wouldn’t end the tweets asking Niall and I for further details. Eventually he tweeted a fan back who was asking if we really were dating. He told her the truth and explained how he was happy with me. I knew that would be enough confirmation for the fans but even in upcoming interviews and promos after that, he answered the prying questions truthfully without giving too much detail.

Sure there were the scary fans that sent hateful tweets and death threats but Niall assured me that none of the fans were really serious. I had a feeling he was just trying to calm my nerves. I knew there were some crazy people out there.

I sat down on an empty bench and crossed my leg like a lady. Sure I wasn’t wearing a skirt, but I didn’t want any unflattering photographs. That was something I was really dreading. I knew soon enough a camera would catch me off guard. That would actually have to be pretty hard to do considering I’m very aware of my surroundings.

I heard Niall from a few blocks away. He was speedily shifting his gears which gave me the impression that he was excited. Either that or he was angry. I had also finally grown accustom to the sound of the engine in his car. He pulled up to the curb and I hopped in. I kissed him on the cheek and he smiled.