Chapter Fifty-Six

Danielle’s POV:

“I couldn’t imagine a better home for our baby. Thank you.” Eleanor pulled Cat and I into a big hug. We just finished the baby’s room and I was redecorating the foyer.

“No problem.” Cat said.

“Yeah, it was actually a lot of fun. I hope you guys enjoy it.” I pulled away from Eleanor.

“I love it! I wish the baby would come sooner so I could show Lou. He’ll be so grateful.” She placed her hands on her belly. “That reminds me! Would you girls be willing to help me out with the baby shower? Or at least join the party? One of my friends is the hostess, but I would love for you two to be there.” She smiled while her curly hair bounced up and down with excitement.

“Sure!” I replied. “Do you have a date in mind?”

“Of course! The date was on the massive amount of invitations you helped me send.”

“Early January.” Cat piped up. I nodded while Eleanor grabbed her purse.

“Yes. This is for you two.” She handed us each a large envelope. I didn’t know if I should tuck it away or open it. “Open it!” Eleanor squealed. Well, I guess she cleared that right up.

Cat and I both opened our envelopes and pulled out two checks. I read the number. “This is a lot more than you said you would pay, El.” She already doubled what I had expected when we first started. Now my number was close to triple.

“You two deserve it! You both worked so hard and kept it all a secret. Besides, Danielle, I know all about your little ring situation.” She teased. “Niall must have told Louis because he came rushing home the other day to tell me. It’s sweet, really.” I smiled and looked back down at the check in my hands.

“Thank you, El.” This time I was the one to go in for a hug.

“Love you two. I’ve got to run but we should chat later. I need to know what you girls want for Christmas! When you leave, just make sure to lock the front door and turn on the lights outside.” She slipped on her shoes and buttoned up her coat. “Bye!” She waved from the front door.

-

Cat and I locked the secret room. “I couldn’t have done this without you, Cat.” I piped up.

“I couldn’t have done this without you either.” She smiled.

“No, I mean any of this; my whole life situation. None of it would have happened if I hadn’t met you.” I was honest.

“Whoa, no need to get all mushy.” She teased. “But, none of my living with Zayn and getting this massive check would have happened if it wasn’t for you. Thank you.” We walked back to the kitchen counter and I grabbed my purse.

“We are so dumb.” I laughed.

“We are.” She replied. “You wanna go get a drink to celebrate?” She asked. I nodded.

-

I was on my third frilly drink at the local bar while Cat was drinking beer. We sat up on barstools and Cat seemed to know the bartender by name. She ordered another round even after my words were slurring. We both sipped on our drinks before she broke the silence. “So, how are things with your mum?” She handled alcohol a lot better than I did.

“I’ve actually been stressing about it.” I replied. “I don’t think I’m ready to see her again, let alone have Niall meet her. He’s a gentleman; he really is. But I know my mother well enough to know that she loves to seek out the bad in all people.” My words slurred in run-on sentences.

“I’m sure he can take it. He just wants to know you better. You’ve met his side and now he wants to meet yours. It makes sense.”

“I know you’re right, but I still think I’m not ready.”

-

Cat’s POV:

I parked outside of Niall’s building and led Danielle inside. It was only early evening but I was not sure if she could have gotten any more drunk. Her makeup was smeared from crying about her mom and how she thought she was a horrible sister because she left Libby alone. I don’t know how she kept all of this stress inside of her. How does she push it all down?

We made it up to her place and I snatched the keys from her purse. I found her some clean clothes. “Put these on.” I tried to use my soothing voice, but it’s not like I had the opportunity to use it that often. She followed my orders and I had her climb into bed. I handed her a few pills and a glass of water. “Drink all of it.” She finished the glass and set it on the bedside table. I ventured back out to the kitchen to fill it up again. When I came back, she was sound asleep.

I left the cup next to her and locked the door on my way out. I fished for Niall’s cell number while I scurried through the cold to my car. My call went to voicemail. “Hey, Niall. It’s me, Cat. Danielle and I went out for a drink this afternoon and she hit it pretty hard. She got worked up but I brought her back to your place. I would try to let her sleep it off if you can. Just thought I’d let you know… okay… bye.”

-

I parked in the driveway and hurried inside the warm house. All of the lights were off along with the heat, so I kicked it on and dressed myself in layers. I set the envelope on the kitchen counter. I wanted to show Zayn, but I also didn’t know what to do with it. It was such a large amount of money. I was frightened to even glance at it again.

I curled up on the large sofa with a hot cup of tea and a fuzzy blanket. I flipped through the channels and found one of my favorite Christmas programs. I was halfway through it when my phone buzzed.

Dani’s Boy: Hey thanks for the message. I really appreciate ya taking care of her. Should I be worried ?

Me: You’re welcome. It wasn’t that big of a deal. Just be there for her when she wakes up.

Dani’s Boy: Alright. Thank ya again. Zayn just left so he should be there any minute.

I felt my eyelids get heavy while I was curled up underneath the blanket.

-

The open and close of the garage door jolted me awake. “Hey, love!” Zayn called out. He saw me on the couch and kissed my cheek. “Were you sleeping? You look a bit out of it.”

“I was. It’s okay though. How was your day? I’m glad you came home early.”

“Busy as always. I’m gonna go change and then I’ll be right down.” His lips met mine and his scruff brushed against my face. “You taste and smell like tea.” He chuckled.

“Gee, I wonder why.” I teased.