Chapter Forty-Three

Danielle’s POV:

Cat, Eleanor, and I were out shopping for supplies. Eleanor was giving us the basics of what she was looking for, and she just wanted to spend the day with us.

Cat and I were working on various places in Eleanor’s house, but our main focus was the baby’s room. “Just grab whatever pops out at you!” Eleanor squeaked while we trailed down an aisle full of lamps. “Even if it doesn’t go in a room I specifically assigned to you. You’ve seen the house. I think you’ll know when and where something will look good. You see, I’m better at decorating myself with clothes and shoes than decorating a house…” She went on to tell us about working with and meeting various designers. “… Plus, I love gifts. Gah! This is almost like a massive gift to me, Louis, and our new baby.” Her voice was at a whisper by the end of her sentence. The paparazzi could be hiding around the corner. Or maybe even fans.

We were still keeping everything on the down-low. Instead, I would improvise a decorating meeting for a girl’s night out with Eleanor. You see, then Niall would not be able to come… Let alone try to join. He enjoyed being alone every once in awhile, or so I found out. But I think everyone does. We all need our me time.

Eleanor’s phone rang and she had to run off and meet someone. She was quickly whisked away and left Cat and I in the store. I noticed her tiny belly as she sped across aisles – her tight gray sweater clung against it.

It was closer to autumn now. Maybe too close. I felt like the seasons were changing too quickly. I wanted the heat of summer to come back and remind me of all the wonderful happenings that take place during that season. I seemed to forget each and every time it came back around. But then again, that was kind of nice. It was almost like you got to experience that season for the first time, all over again.

Me and Niall had been together well over a couple months. Every time I passed by a can of prepared pumpkin guts to be used in a pie, I thought of Thanksgiving and my family. Then I thought of Niall and his family.

I had only seen Niall’s mother one other time after my trip to Ireland. We had a lunch date at a spicy Thai place near The London Eye. She was just as sweet as the first time I met her. I was still nervous to see her again, but I was definitely more comfortable around her. It probably had to do with the fact that I was dating her son.

I was talking regularly to my younger sister, Libby. She told me all about starting up school and how hard her classes were. She vented about some girl dating a boy she liked, and she cried over the phone because that same girl teased her for her glasses. Before we ended our long distance call, she seemed a little more upbeat. Of course she would be upset because we needed to end our call, but she seem oh, so much lighter. I would usually end up breaking down in tears after our weekly calls.

Niall continued to drop hints about seeing my mother. And Thanksgiving.

“No, Niall, I don’t want to talk about that wench!” I shouted across the room. It wasn’t exactly a fight. Well, at least not between the two of us, or about us.

“Jus’ let me google ‘er! Give me ‘er name! Why’d ya leave in such a hurry?” He was calm but firm. A vein popped out of his neck every time he was serious about something. His face flushed from the heat that was now turned on in his flat, and the heat of our conversation.

“Fine!” I yelled “Her name is Anne!” The atmosphere stilled and we both grew quiet.

“Okay.” He said.

“Okay.”

Cat and I went to look at paint samples first. Once we found what we believed to be the perfect color, we would build everything else off of that.

I picked through blues and greens while Cat looked at pink. “You know,” I started “We don’t know the sex of the baby.”

“I know. I just think that she’s gonna have a girl.” She explained.

“Well, she wants the room done before the shower. We have to make it a unisex room because they won’t know the gender until the baby shower.” I was thinking out loud.

We finally settled on a teal or mint green. I figured that if we placed enough shades of that color in the room, it could work either way. Green says boy without making the room blue; and minty teal says girl without going all out magenta. I was happy with my plan.

We picked up a couple tins of paint and went to set them out in Cat’s car so we didn’t have to lug them around the store.

Oh yeah, that’s right.

Well, Zayn and Cat hooked up. I’m pretty sure everyone saw it coming. Of course Zayn wouldn’t give Niall the details, but I got all of them from Cat. Apparently, they got together over a steamy night.

I guessed Zayn couldn’t get over the fact that Cat walked everywhere… so he bought her a car. That’s what millionaires do? To be quite honest, I couldn’t believe it myself.

I still depended on Niall for most of my rides. I actually didn’t mind it. Those few minutes give us extra time together. Also, he was so adorable when he missed me.

We scurried down the toy aisle just to check for anything that would match out color scheme or give us inspiration. I went to home décor and left Cat on her own. I figured we would collaborate at the end and explain our finds. I really loved working for Eleanor.

Niall called my cell phone while I was examining rocking chairs. “Hey, babe.” He greeted after I picked up. “Wanna go t’ a bar wit’ me after you’re done?” There wasn’t much background noise. He must have been driving.

“Not tonight, Bub. Go have yourself a good time.”

“Bub?” He laughed “Ya sure?”

“I’m sure. Go have fun.” I assured.

“See ya later, babe.”