Chapter Twenty-Nine

Zayn’s POV:

She slipped outside with that tall bloke and I followed her. I knew he was trouble. They stood outside; each of them smoking a cigarette. It had been almost a year since my last. I walked towards her and stuck my hands in my pockets. I was nervous but I didn’t want to come off that way. She offered me one and I declined. We all stood quiet for a few moments; our backs against the outside wall of the expensive restaurant. A breeze picked up and she spoke. “So, why did you come out here? The party was too good for you?”

“Well, actually…” I started. “I was wondering if I could see you again. I know that sounds creepy considering that we haven’t even had a decent conversation yet… But, I want to. You don’t have to say yes.” I finished my statement and waited for her to answer. She rolled around the words in her head as she took in a few more drags and let them out slow and steady; the smoke swirling around in the cool air.

“I would give you my number but I’m already a little buzzed. I might end up giving you the wrong digits. Talk to Danielle or Niall and if they see you fit, they’ll send my number your way.” She began to walk away and tossed her unfinished cigarette to the ground. They were more than twenty feet away when I heard the other man with her ask her if they were still getting drinks.

Danielle’s POV:

More and more rounds of drinks eventually made their way to our table. Niall keep on drinking and I tried to keep as sober as possible. I figured that I would have to drive him home. It may not have been completely legal but I figured it would be better than us getting into a car accident. Eventually everyone was loud and drunk; some more than others. Niall’s hand had been inching up my thigh all night. Now it was very close to my hips. I figured it was time for us to go.

I grabbed his car keys out of his front pocket and kissed him on the cheek. He followed me like a puppy that had just learned to stand on its own legs. His stumbled and swayed but never fell. I said quick goodbyes to our dinner mates and led Niall outside. His skin was hot but sticky and cool all at the same time. I eventually got him in the passenger seat and buckled him in. He chuckled and smelled my hair; telling me how pretty I was and he asked if I had a boyfriend. I just rolled my eyes at him. I stumbled a bit as I walked to the driver’s side of the car, but I knew I was sober enough to drive.

Sooner or later we got back to his place. It took about ten minutes longer considering I missed a few turns and got caught in a little traffic. I gave the key to someone who seemed to recognize his car and then I helped him to the elevator. I pushed which floor I thought he was on and we stood in the elevator listening to the ding of each floor we passed. I could smell the booze on his breath. A small bead of sweat ran down his face. He chuckled and twirled bits of my hair around his fingers. I journeyed around trying to find his room and I finally found it… until I realized I didn’t have the key.

“Stay here.” I pointed at him. He stood up against the wall across from his door and gave me a wide grin. I wondered what was going through his head.

I quickly got back into the elevator and headed for the garage that I had parked his car in. I looked for the man I had given the keys to. “Hey!” I shouted when I saw him. He turned around and saw me jog towards him. He held the keys out like he knew what I was coming for. “Thank you.” I half whispered and then quickly jogged back to the elevator.

I made it back to Niall’s door but he was nowhere to be found. Niall. I heard something crash around the corner and I found him lying on the ground with a broken vase and flowers. “They looked nice.” His accent was thick. I helped him up and saw that a piece of glass was stuck in the arm that he had fallen on. I winced at the sight even though it wasn’t my own arm. God.