Chapter Thirty-Seven

Cat’s POV:

It was nice to hang out with Danielle for a little while. I was starting to feel lonely and I was dreading the moment that Dalton came back. I was picking out my clothes for work and he still wasn’t back. A part of me was worried about him but the other half of me wasn’t. He’s a wanker.

Honestly, I was getting sick of my job. It brought in a bit of money and helped keep me on my feet, but I really hated it. Danielle told me about her working with interior design and I was actually hoping that she would ask if I would help her. I knew that once she finished Niall’s place and he had people over, she would be a success. I knew that she doubted herself – it was easy to see. Whatever she did, she did it above and beyond. I didn’t want to ask her myself but I would have, if I had to. I knew that she would understand.

She was making a list in an old notebook of mine while she was on the phone with Niall. Zayn had suddenly stopped texting me but I wasn’t really worried about it.

“Hey, Cat!” She exclaimed. “When do you get off of work?”

“Probably around two in the morning, why?” I asked her.

“Niall was wondering if you wanted to go for a late bite to eat. We’ll be at some old diner-“

“Oh, yeah I know what which one he’s talking about. If I get off early I’ll let you know.” I rolled on some deodorant.

There was this tiny part of me that wished I could trade places with Danielle. There were also too many reasons to list off of why I felt that way.

-

I locked the door behind me on the way out. Danielle had fallen asleep while writing a list of what she wanted to do to Niall’s flat. I woke her and made her get underneath the covers. I then set an alarm on her phone so that she could go meet Niall later.

I knew that the nightlife to most people was interesting and intriguing. I was used to it. I thought I knew the streets better at night that I did during the daytime. I only had a few stops to make. I ran the kind of business that got the job done and left ten minutes afterwards. There were only a few men in business that I didn’t find completely repulsive.

My phone went off in my purse and I dug it out while I trotted on the cement to my first stop. It was Zayn telling me that he wanted to see me tonight if he could. I told him I had work but I would stop by to see Niall and Danielle afterwards if time permits. He told me he would tag along.

This first guy lived in a fancy hotel with a doorman and everything. He was in his mid-forties and had divorced his wife years ago. It was funny how all of my clients told me about their past life, yet I told them nothing of mine. They didn’t need to know anything. It was just business.

I went up to his room and knocked on the door. He liked it when I toyed with American accents. I hated having to play a roll. Almost every customer made a request. They commented on what I should wear, how I should sound, how I acted, and so on; it was annoying to say the least.

Liam’s POV:

Andy was already drunk. He laughed and yelled obscenities around my flat and eventually passed out on my floor. It was only the two of us. The pizza hadn’t even arrived yet. I shook him to consciousness and made him lie on the sofa. He grumbled and swore when I told him to take some medication. He eventually gave in and turned over onto his side. I knew that he would be thankful in the morning when the side effects of his hangover were reduced.

I turned on the telly for background noise and reached for my laptop. I skimmed through old pictures of my friends and old girlfriend. I missed her. I knew I could have figured out who she was seeing just by the click of a button. After all, Google is a human’s best friend. But… I didn’t think I wanted to know.

It honestly killed me to think that she was with someone else. Everyone knew that we should have ended up together. I felt as if Harry’s going to stick with someone before I ever did. Everyone was off. Everyone was finding whatever they called “it”. Yet, I was stuck in my lonely flat with my unconscious friend who couldn’t seem to keep his hands off of girls, waiting for a pizza, and sulking. This is definitely the life.

-

I finished off half the box of pizza while Andy snored his drunkenness away. It was getting late and I figured I would head over to meet Niall. I left a note for Andy just in case he got up, which was unlikely, and locked the door behind me.

When I got there, Niall was sitting at our usual table but had a visitor. I recognized her face but couldn’t place her name. She smiled when she saw me approach and Niall got up and hugged me before I sat down. He sat back down and put his arm around the girl after he took a swig from his beer. “Zayn said he was comin’” Niall nodded towards the entrance. Wow. He was actually coming out of his cave. “’Member Cat? That’s probably the reason he’s comin.’” His words slurred even more when he got the slightest bit tipsy. I nodded.

I was hoping that Niall and I would actually have a heart-to-heart. He was one of the people I was closest to and always did a good job of cheering me up. I wished it was just the two of us. I felt myself getting into a funk. The diner was our place of sanctuary and I didn’t want any intruders. I excused myself and headed for the toilets.

I stood in front of the large mirror in the empty bathroom. Urinals lined the walls and I could hear loud laughs echo and reach the walls inside the bathroom. I took a good look at myself and tried to calm down. After all, I knew I wasn’t really mad at Niall. I mean, it kind of bugged me that he would bring someone, but it was Niall. I was frustrated. My life wasn’t what I wanted it all to be.

I felt a surge of anger and pounded the ivory sink with my hand. I then turned and kicked the garbage can with my foot. I breathed out heavily and composed myself. I felt a little bit better.

Niall’s POV:

Zayn showed up while Liam was in the bathroom. He was surprisingly happy and that made the atmosphere seem light. Liam came back out and tried to put on a cheery face, but I could tell he was in a huff. I ordered him a drink and a plate of chips. Danielle had been pawing at my plate all night and I ordered her a replica of my dish as well.

After the alcohol got a hold of Liam, he brightened up. He was always a happy drunk. A had Danielle share with Liam just in case the alcohol was sitting in his system with nothing to accompany it.

We laughed for hours and I tried to keep the pints to a minimum. I had a busy day the next day, and I would have rathered not dealt with a headache.

Cat’s POV:

I pulled my shirt back over myself. “Come on!” he pleaded. “Stay.” He lied underneath the covers on his back and watched me dress myself.

“I’ve got other plans.” I rolled my eyes and searched for my shirt. I regretted the one night I stayed with him.

“I’ll pay you double.” He stated while I slipped on my heels.

“No.” I grabbed my purse.

“Triple!” He pleaded.

“You’ll pay me the usual cost and you’ll like it.” I was stern. He reached for a wad of cash and handed it to me. I left with the slam of his front door.

I showed up late at the restaurant and was surprised when they were all still there. Danielle nodded toward Zayn who raised an eyebrow at me and smiled. He was adorable.