Chapter Sixty-Eight

Niall’s POV:

I rubbed my eyes while I sat at the large conference table. I couldn’t tell if the stress was making me exhausted or if I was just tired in general.

One of our managers blabbed on about the album and tour dates, which I really was interested in… I was just thinking of other things. Danielle talked about her fantasy of a dream wedding almost every night when we laid in bed together. It had been weeks and I didn’t think anything had been done. I knew she would never go through with it, but every girl dreams, right? I couldn’t help but wonder what she was jotting down on that hand-written list right at this moment…

Liam nudged my arm with his elbow to catch my attention. He nodded towards a blow-up of a magazine cover the lads and I just shot. “The company wants to make sure everyone is fine with this shot.” The lady said. I nodded my head. It was nice of them to ask for our permission. No one does that anymore. “You guys have a few more interviews and promos coming up soon. I just wanted to remind everyone. I know schedules can become a jumbled mess…” She trailed off as I stood to my feet and zipped up my coat.

“Thanks, we got it.” Louis replied.

“Do you boys need anyone?” She asked as we tried to slip out the door. I knew she meant bodyguards.

“I think we’re good, thanks again.” Louis answered for us. I shut the door behind me.

-

“You look stressed, mate.” Louis observed after he finished the last of his water bottle. I watched him toss it into the rubbish while we paced down the sidewalk.

“Danielle. Our wedding. Work. I want her t’ have a normal wedding. I could care less, but I don’t want my fame t’ get in the way of a simple weddin’.” I shared. Louis nodded and chuckled.

“It was a miracle El and I even had what I guess you could consider a normal wedding.” He chuckled again, “Normal. Anyway, she wanted something frilly… something, well, Eleanor. I gave it to her. Of course there were problems throughout the day, but that’s just how it goes. I think that’s how every wedding goes…” He pointed to a shop that caught his eye. The other lads were out shopping somewhere else. “Just go with your gut feeling; even if you think it’ll be hard.” He opened the door and held it for me. I walked inside before he followed. “And talk to Danielle about it. I know how crazy you are about her. I also know that if she’s happy about it, you’ll be happy about it.” He smiled and bumped his shoulder with mine when I felt my face get hot.

“Thanks, man.” I chuckled.

“Anytime. And, hey, don’t worry about it. It’ll be fine.” Louis squeezed my shoulder before he lifted a shirt to his chest. “What do you think of this one?”

-

I nodded towards the lad at the front desk and headed for the lift. I played with the straps of my backpack while I waited for it to reach our floor. I unlocked the door and kicked my shoes off. I dropped my backpack by the closet and didn’t bother hanging my cold coat up.

I found Danielle sitting on the couch with her feet tucked underneath her. She wore her glasses - which always made me think of a librarian. She held a mug of what I assumed to be coffee while magazines scattered around her. She quickly wrote something down on that hand-written list of hers and met my eyes once she jotted down her thought. “Hi, baby.” She smiled. She hadn’t called me that in a while. Or maybe I just hadn’t noticed. I was so used to her calling me ‘bub’.

“Hey, babe.” I answered. I plopped down on the other side of the sofa and closed my eyes.

“Long day?” She asked. I knew I had been working too much considering hearing her voice made me want to memorize what it sounded like. I was missing her badly.

“The longest.” I replied. I thought of my purchases sitting in my backpack. “Can ya get my backpack for me?” I half-smirked at her. I was tired. I knew she didn’t need to get up. It was only a few feet away from me.

She nodded and smiled. I watched her arse as she passed me. I reached out to give it a squeeze but she moved too quickly. Danielle sat my backpack on the sofa and sat herself on my lap. “I missed you.” She whined. She leaned her back against my chest. I could smell her shampoo and body wash.

“I missed ya too, love.” I brushed her hair to one side and pecked her neck. “Look at what I bought!” I unzipped my bag and pulled out a few plastic bags.

“Oh! I like that shirt. Put it on!” She pulled at the shirt I was currently wearing. I pulled it over my head and slipped on the blue one I bought. “I like that. That’s one of my favorites.” She smiled and turned around to see it on me.

“I bought some more but t’is was probably my favorite too.” I agreed. Her fingertips trailed underneath my shirt as her eyes met mine again. “No… no… we have to talk first…” Her hands found my back before she lightly scratched my skin with her fingernails.

“Fine. Talk.” She tried her best to be dirty. She wasn’t very good at it; which made me chuckle.

“It’s ‘bout the weddin’. I’m really busy but I still want to make sure that you know that I want ya to have a nice weddin’ and that I do love ya…” I trailed off while her thumbs eventually found my happy trail.

“Niall, all I really care about is having a dress and a bouquet. You know that.” She laughed.

“I jus’ wanted t’ make sure!” I replied. I messed with my hair. I couldn’t concentrate while she was touching me like that.

“Just seeing you family again will make me happy, Ni. I’ll be happy no matter what.” She smiled. Faint dimples dented her cheeks. I loved those dimples.

“One week.” I breathed in between our long kisses. I felt her smile against my lips.

“One week.” She repeated.