Chapter Eighteen

Danielle’s POV:

I watched Maura leave the kitchen and walk back down the hall out of my sight. Her heels clicked and clanked against the hardwood floor until they reached the rug at the front door. I heard her open it and close it with a slam, a tug was giving to make sure it was locked. I sipped on my coffee and breathed in the deep scent. I looked over at Niall who was eyeing me while sipping on his tea. Steam from the hot liquid swirled up and around his nose. He finished his gulp and smiled a cheeky smile at me. I giggled and looked down towards my feet. Chris was quiet. I assumed that silence was his nature. He had hardly said a word.

I set my half empty cup on the counter, grabbed my blankets from the wooden chair at the table, and shuffled back upstairs. I went back up into Niall’s old room and picked out some clothes. I set them on the unmade bed and fell face-first back onto the heap of blankets.

I heard the drag of his feet on the soft carpet behind me. He sat next to me, still curled up in his blankets, and ran his fingers through his hair. He sighed and fell backwards onto his back, the bouncy mattress catching him. We both bounced up and down in unison. I felt him looking at me.

“Yes?” I muffled into the blankets.

“I could sleep all day.” He said. My eyes were closed but I imagined him then looking up at the ceiling.

I wondered what his days used to consist of here. Maybe he went out with friends. Maybe he watched shows all day. Maybe he sat around and did nothing. Maybe he played his guitar all day. Part of me wanted to know, the other part didn’t want to get attached.

“Me too.” I breathed. The blankets caught my breath and kept it there. My face grew warm from the heat.

I sat back up and glared at my clothes. A hot shower sounded nice, but it was the getting ready part I feared. I wanted to sleep all day. I got to my feet and headed for the bathroom, clothes in hand. I set them on the white counter and headed back to the room. The door was shut and I heard a low hum from the other side.

“Niall?” I knocked. No reply. I opened the door and there he was. Nothing but boxer briefs covered him. He stood facing the small window, his back to me. I sauntered over to my suitcase and grasped all the toiletries I needed for my shower. I turned around and faced him. “Are clothes your enemy or something?” He whipped his head around and pulled out an ear bud.

“Hmm?” He asked. An iPod lay in his hand. Faint music rung in my ears.

“Oh.” I could feel my eyes widening. Stop staring… Stop staring…

“Like whatcha see?” He posed as if he was modeling for a camera. I rolled my eyes and walked back out the door.

I hadn’t seen a half naked man in months, let alone touch one. My body screamed for me to touch him but my mind said no. I wasn’t that kind of girl. I reminisced over this subject while I scrubbed the grease out of my hair, shampoo started to run down my forehead and into my eyes. I backed up into the hot water and rinsed all the soap out of my hair.

“Danielle?” I heard Niall’s voice quietly echo off the bathroom walls. I instantly tensed my muscles. If he thought he was getting something right now… “It’s your sister.” I heard him breathe. Oh, God. What did she say to him?

I peeked my head outside of the shower curtain. He walked over, his head down, and handed me my cell phone.

“Libby?” I could have broken down then and there.

“Danielle? Please come home. I’m sorry mom is so mean. I wish I could take back all she said… I miss you. Where are you? Are you alright? Who answered the phone?” I heard her voice beginning to crack. I was someone she could look up to and was no longer there.

“I miss you too.” God. Someone missed me. Water streamed down my body. My phone was wet in my hand. I brought my free hand up to my face and covered my mouth. No crying. Be strong. “I’ll see you soon. I promise.” I rubbed my eyes.

“Call me back soon?” Libby cried through the phone. How could I have ever left her? I am a terrible sister.

“I will. Give me a few days, alright?”

“Mom said she’s going to turn off your phone… So make sure you get a new one or call from someone else’s.” I heard her sniffle, although, I could feel a smile beginning to form on her soft face.

“I will. Hang in there, okay?”

Niall’s POV:

I stared at myself in the mirror. Hot steam from the shower swirled all around me. I could smell her shampoo in the air. She ended the call with her sister and I heard tiny breaths. She was crying softly. I wanted to jump right into that shower and hold her. I hated hearing or seeing girls cry. They were so helpless. The least I could do was try to take the pain away.

A few minutes later, I heard a soft hum from the other side of the shower curtain. Water still spouted out from the showerhead. I wondered how long I had been standing here. I tiptoed out of the bathroom. I’m sure Danielle thought I had left… I didn’t want her thinking that I didn’t. I shut the door quietly behind me. I had learned how in all my years of practice, from staying here. Just as I entered my old room again, I heard the water turn off. I waited for her to make her way out of the bathroom. Once she did, it was my turn.

-

I watched Danielle blow up pink and red balloons. Her cheeks were beginning to flush due to the lack of oxygen. A pile of them sat on the floor around her. I hung streamers and decorations with Chris while my mum told us where everything should go.

After Danielle and I were finished getting ready, my mum came home with loads of grocery bags. We helped her in and got to work.

Danielle’s hair fell in loose waves and her skin looked florescent. A window was open near her and sunlight shined through. A breeze would pick up every now and then and her hair would dance sweetly in the wind. She was in the middle of blowing up another pink balloon and giggled when she lost her grip on it. It flew around the room and came flying into the kitchen. I finished putting up the last streamer and grasped the balloon in my hand. I went over and gave it to her. She smiled pleasantly and mouthed the words: thank you. I sat down next to her and helped her with the tedious task.

My mum stirred pink punch in the kitchen and multitasked. Some greasy delight was in the oven and sweets sat on the island in the kitchen. Chris snacked on pretzels while his hands were around my mum’s waste. She sang softly and he hummed back into her ear. I glanced over to Danielle. She was concentrating on tying up her final balloon. Her eyelashes flicked up and down with every sound the balloon made. The sunlight made the faint freckles on her cheeks easier to distinguish.

We set up tiny tables and chairs around the large living room. Chris and I had already moved recliners and coffee tables to make more room. I spread out tablecloths while Danielle set utensils and plates down.

I heard the doorbell ring and looked up at my mum. She dashed over to the front door and put on her best hostess. This couple’s party was going to be interesting.