Chapter Fifty-Five

Danielle’s POV:

“Which skirt?” Andrea asked me while she stood in a robe. I was sitting on her bed while I waited for everyone to finish getting ready. I eyed both fabrics. “Come on! You never know who might be there. Maybe I’ll meet the man of my dreams.” Her optimism caused me to smile.

“The pink one,” I said, “It looks like it would go great with your skin tone.” She beamed.

I left her to finish getting dressed and then sat on the sofa. I curled my feet up underneath myself and eyed the green ring on my finger. I hadn’t told anyone about what happened with Niall, but it wasn’t like I was keeping it all a secret. If someone asked, I couldn’t say that I wouldn’t mind telling.

Cat rounded the corner from the kitchen and my eyes met hers. “They should be ready any minute.” She walked towards me and sunk down on the other side of the couch. “You look kind of red. Are you alright?” Her eyebrows furrowed after her lips parted.

“Oh, I’m fine! I just flush easily.” All of my thoughts and feelings must have surfaced. My porcelain skin was both a blessing and a curse.

“Ready!” Andrea chimed and draped a scarf around her neck. “You girls may be young and beautiful, but I think that I’ve still got it!” She winked “Maria! Come on! Everybody is waiting!” She hollered down the hall and then whispered to us, “And I thought I took years to get ready.” I loved the atmosphere in their house. I told myself that I should come over whenever I was feeling down.

“Do I look alright? Are we going anywhere too fancy?” Maria questioned once she stepped into the light. She was still soft-spoken, but I had to admit that she had come a very long way since I first met her. I didn’t know her well, but I could see that she wasn’t the hollow woman that she used to be. I wondered what made her that way in the first place.

“You look beautiful.” Cat grinned “Let’s go! I’m starving.”

-

“I’ll have whatever you recommend.” Andrea flirted with our waiter. Before he served us our drinks, Andrea pointed out how great his booty was. Jason, our waiter’s name by the looks of his nametag, scribbled something down before he took our menus and left. “So girls, what’s the 411? Got any good gossip?” I shook my head in disbelief and laughed. I just found her to be humorous.

“Zayn’s been talking nonstop about dogs. I think he wants one. Most likely, I’ll end up granting his wishes.” Cat piped up after she took a sip of her water.

“Really?” I asked. I loved animals more than I probably should have.

“Yeah. He wants something big but that’s definitely not going to happen if I’m buying it. Big dogs are a nuisance to me.” She ran her fingers through her hair and sat back in her chair. I nodded and took a drink of my water.

“Whoa! Where did you get that ring?” Cat leaned onto the table and took my hand in hers. She rubbed the jewels with her thumb. I felt my face grow red.

“Actually, Niall got it for me.” I answered. Now all of the girls were surrounding my hand. Andrea had her glasses on so she could get a better look.

“Wait, why?” Cat’s eyes were wide.

“It might sound stupid to you, but it means something to me. He gave it to me as a promise. A promise – “

“A promise ring!” Cat shouted. I shushed her after half of the restaurant was staring at our table.

“Not exactly.” I brought my voice down low. “It’s just him saying that he wants to work things out between the two of us. It’s also a reminder that he’s still present in our relationship, even when he’s absent due to work…” I looked down at the ring and then back up to Maria.

“How’d he do it?” She asked kindly.

I laughed. “You should have seen him. He was a nervous wreck. But he was a perfect nervous wreck. He got down on two knees, specifying that he wasn’t proposing because he was on both, and then he gave me a speech. His hands were shaky and sweat formed on his forehead. It was perfect and hilarious all at the same time.” I giggled thinking back to the memory. “But, you have to keep this quiet. I don’t know what and if Niall wants the press to know about this. I’m sure they’ll eventually catch on. They always do. But still. Just keep this between us girls?” Everyone nodded and smiled. “You guys look like idiots! You should see your faces! How about I order some wine to celebrate?”

“Oh! How about some dessert?” Andrea asked. “Or maybe I could get some of that waiter…”

“Skip the waiter. I’m not sure he’s after a cougar like you. Besides, you’re too good for him. Let’s just get both.” I replied.

-

Cat dropped me off at Niall’s place and congratulated me on the ring. I shivered in the cold but smiled politely. She was a great friend. I didn’t have many of those growing up.

I quickly jogged inside and ventured up to our apartment. I unlocked the door and went inside. I slipped off my boots next to a pair of high-tops and left my purse on the counter. Wait… A pair of high-tops? “Ni?” I called out.

“In here, babe!” He returned. His voice sounded hollow. I turned down the small hall to our bedroom and found him in the bathroom. He stood before the mirror in sweats and no shirt. A towel was draped over his shoulder while he held a disposable razor and shaving cream foamed on his face. I smiled at his appearance.

“What are you doing home? It’s only late afternoon.” I leaned against the doorframe and watched him drag the blade across his skin.

“Took the rest of the day off!” His voice was muffled while shaving cream trickled into his mouth. He frowned and spit into the sink. “Shavin’ cream does not taste very good.” I laughed while he rinsed his saliva down the sink. “Oh, ya wanna taste, don’t cha?” He set the razor and towel down on the countertop before his hands grabbed my hips and he pulled me into a long kiss. I eventually pulled back and grimaced. I spit into the sink just like he did. He was right; shaving cream did not taste pleasant.

I looked up at myself in the mirror. Splotches of white goop were smeared all over my jaw and cheeks. A small peak stuck up on the end of my nose. Niall cackled and handed me his towel.

“Ya wanna sit on the sofa wit’ me today?” He asked and went back to his manly duties.

“Sure. Let me get changed and I’ll meet you there.”

I grabbed most of what was Niall’s and slumped down on the cushions. He sat next to me and pulled my face near his. I felt his warm lips brush my cheek tenderly. “Wanna watch a game?” He asked flipping through the channels.

“Whatever you want, bub.” I replied. He turned on a game and put his arm around me. I scooted closer to him and rested a hand on his thigh. “Now I smell like shaving cream.” I piped up. He kissed me on the forehead while his hand travelled down my back and rested on my hip. His fingertips rubbed and played with the hem of my underwear while his hand stayed inside the fabric of my pants.

“I think ya smell lovely.” He countered. I didn’t look up at him, but I could feel the grin forming on his lips.