Chapter Fifty

Zayn’s POV:

Cat didn’t call me back but she honked once her car reached the edge of the driveway. I just made it back from a day of meetings and happily slid on a pair of sweats while I descended down the stairs. I was glad Cat was getting out of that place.

I propped open the front door with a shoe so we wouldn’t get locked out and the temperature inside the house would stay the same.

I met Cat and opened the door for her. I smiled but she didn’t even make eye contact with me. I wondered what was up. She mumbled something at me and popped the boot. I shut the driver’s side door and went around to help Maria. I had never even seen a picture of her before, but I had heard more about her than I probably should have.

She had one small duffel bag at her feet and I lugged it over my shoulder. I gave her my hand to help her out of the car. We walked inside and I helped her sit on the couch in the living room. I told her I’d be back and that she should make herself at home.

Cat was trying to carry as much as she could while her cell phone balanced between her ear and shoulder. “Yeah, why don’t you come get your stuff tomorrow? Alright. I’ll call you later.” She waddled inside and I watched her go while I grabbed the larger items.

She returned just as I was setting everything down next to her pile. She finally made eye contact with me and I saw the welt on her jaw and lip. I felt my eyes get wide and my fists clench. I made myself calm down and instead of running off to find that jackass; I pulled Cat into a hug and kissed the top of her head. She teared up a little, but didn’t cry like I expected she would. I felt one of her hands slide up the back of my shirt, and I kissed her tenderly on her other cheek.

-

I got everything set up for Cat, but left her with all of her clothes. I went downstairs and found Maria staring at the white wall in the living room. I didn’t believe she saw me coming, but I crouched down next to her anyway. “My name’s Zayn.” I flashed her the sweetest smile I could without looking too fake. “There’s this house across the street from here and it’s only one floor. There’s also this nice woman who lives there. I’ve known her for years. Her name is Andrea. You can stay in my basement for a while if you’d like, but I honestly think that you’d be happier with her.” She made eye contact with me and listened in. “You don’t have to help pay for the house or anything. In fact, I have that all covered. I buy Andrea groceries when I go out and I can get some for you as well.” I heard Cat call my name from upstairs. “I already talked to Andrea and she said she would love the company. Think about it for a bit.”

I jogged back upstairs to Cat and killed some sort of insect that was in the closet. She was strong in so many areas, but it was funny watching her squirm while I killed the bug with a shoe.

I finished helping Cat get settled and we both descended back down the staircase. I looked for Maria and found her at the front door along with her duffel bag.”I’m ready.” She said; which were the first words I heard her speak.

We walked her over to Andrea’s when the sun was starting to go down. It was chilly and windy; the green leaves had already lost most of their pigment. Few leaves were colored a different shade and rested on the crunchy grass.

Andrea hugged Maria and told her how excited she was to have a friend her own age. “But Zayn sure is a catch!” She teased. I was going to help Maria get settled but Andrea shrugged me off and shut the front door.

I laced my fingers with Cat’s as we walked back across the street. I ordered some Chinese and plopped next to her on the couch. She rested her head on my shoulder and I let my hand take a hold of her hip.

-

That night I felt her shoulders shaking and I woke up to her salty tears on my neck. I asked her what was wrong but the only phrase she kept on repeating was “I was so scared… I was so scared.” She just kept saying it over and over between tears and unsteady breaths.

I let her body curl up next to me and tremble from the forceful tears. I hummed softly in her ear and told her that everything was okay. I then closed my eyes and waited for her to calm down. When she stopped crying I ran my fingers through her long hair and gently touched the now bruised area on her face.

Niall’s POV:

Danielle stayed the night with me because I guessed she really had no other place to go. She told me how Cat had left the rough side of town and was now staying with Zayn. I had a few questions but didn’t want to bug her. I knew that she would tell me what she knew and also what was necessary once she found out.

I was tired from a long day and fell asleep on the couch once I reached my apartment. I eventually woke up to a pizza and beer on the coffee table in front of me. I sat up and looked around. It was dark outside and Danielle was in the kitchen doing something. She hummed while she got a glass of wine and struggled to break open the cork. I stayed as silent as I could because I didn’t get to hear her hum very often. She really wasn’t a bad singer, but she didn’t enjoy the sound of her voice.

She looked over at me and immediately stopped humming. “Hey! I got you something.” At that moment I wished I could have been invisible so that I could continue watching her every move without looking creepy, and so she would keep humming.

“Why don’t you sing more often?” I blurted. She just shook her head and sat down next to me with a glass of wine. I gave her a peck on the cheek and rested my hand on the inside of her thigh. Her muscles tensed at my abrupt touch, but she relaxed and reached for a slice of pizza.

I took a slice of pizza and ate with her.

-

We went to bed early. We didn’t really talk but I didn’t care. I let my hands venture over to her and instead of me making the first move; she flipped over and sat on top of me. She bent down and kissed me while my hands explored the skin underneath her shirt and underwear. She began to grind her hips into me and I flipped her back onto her back so I could have control.

I took off my boxer briefs and lifted her baggy shirt over her shoulders. I brought my lips to her chest and trailed kisses up and down her abdomen. Even though I loved our soft touches, I wanted something rough and playful that would help me get through a long day the next day. I slipped off her underwear and entered her core hard and fast. She let out a groan tugged at the ends of my hair.

I shifted my arms underneath her small frame and lifted her up onto my lap as I sat down cross-legged. Her breathing was heavy and her delicate hands gripped at the flesh on my shoulders. She moved her hair to one side and I let my mouth explore her neck and chest again.

I eventually set her down on her back again and curled up beside her. She rested facing toward me and I put one arm underneath her. I let my palm cup one side of her chest and smiled in the dark while her lips and teeth grazed my neck and shoulders.