Chapter Fifty-Seven

Danielle’s POV:

“…Maybe she’ll get me a phone. Oh! I hope I get a bunch of money!” Libby jabbered on about Christmas presents while I sat on the couch with a blanket wrapped around me. “…What do you think you’re going to get, Danielle? I already have my presents picked out for you when you come.” Her end of the line got quiet.

“Oh, I don’t know. But whatever it is, I’m sure I’ll love it. You’re great with gifts.” I tried to sound cheery, when in reality, I was lonely.

“What do you think Niall will get you? Do you think you can convince mom to buy me a dog? Do you have a dog? Or are you more of a cat person?” She kept going on and on with a lot of questions that I couldn’t answer. I let her talk until I knew that our mother would tell her that she had been on the phone long enough and that it was time to say goodbye.

“Goodbye, Libby. Be good for mom. I’ll see you very soon.”

“In about a week! I’m so excited. Maybe we could stay up and watch movies and build a fort – “ She was cut off by a muffling of the phone.

“See you soon enough, Danielle. She’ll talk to you later.” I heard my mother’s solid voice. “Goodbye.” And then she hung up.

I hung up my end. “Goodbye to you too.” I growled to the walls of the empty apartment.

Libby had been calling more often as the end of the year was really beginning to come to a close.

I got up from the couch and kept the furry fabric close to me. I shuffled over to the fridge and opened it. “God, Niall. You wanted me to keep all of this food but you didn’t eat it.” I set a mountain of tupperware on the countertop and began dumping the leftovers from our Thanksgiving meal into the garbage. I wasn’t really mad at Niall. I mean, I was frustrated and lonely and I missed him, but I wasn’t angry. I was angry at my mother, but that was a different story.

I took the smelly trash bag out to the dumpster and said hello to a few neighbors that I had chatted with every now and then. I scrubbed the dirty tupperware viciously in the sink and wasn’t too gentle with it when I placed it in the dishwasher.

I had been helping Eleanor when she needed my assistance but I really hadn’t been doing much for the past week. I watched too much television and baked way too much food. I never liked online shopping, but I ended up spending a chunk of change on clothes that I probably didn’t need. Niall always begged to differ when he watched me try on a new shirt or pair of jeans, but I’m pretty sure that was only because he received a new package of clothing at least once a week. His closet was crazy-full of endless shirts and sweatshirts that smelled just like him.

It was getting later in the evening and I hadn’t eaten all day. I was getting really bad about not eating when I was alone. Sometimes I felt it was too much of a hassle and other times I would actually forget. But then there were times when I would end up inhaling a whole batch of cookies or three pork chops. I just needed balance again.

I got up and decided to start something for dinner. I called Niall hoping that he would be able to get off of work early and come home.

“Hey, babe. Jus’ a sec.” I heard his voice distance from his phone as he told someone to bump up the volume on Louis’ mic and turn down the guitar riffs. “Alright I’m back and now in a quiet place. What’s up?”

“I was just wondering when you would be home. I was planning on making us dinner if you’re up for it…”

“Actually,” he began “I should be off in about an hour. Do ya want me t’ pick up somethin’?”

“No it’s fine. I want to make something. What do you want? I can make almost anything… kind of.”

“Hmmm…” I could almost see him biting his lips and scrunching up his nose on the other line. “How ‘bout spaghetti?”

“Sounds great! Except, now I do need you to pick something up. Will you grab some sort of bread on your way home, please?” I heard a low voice mumble a sentence or two to Niall in the background.

“Huh? Yeah. Sure thing, babe. Listen, I’ve got to get back in there. I’ll be leaving in a few. Go ahead and start supper.”

He hung up and I set my phone down on the countertop.

-

I laid everything out on the table. I even used my puny muscles and opened a beer for Niall. I poured myself a glass of wine and waited for him to walk through the door.

I sat back in my chair and sipped on my glass while I played an addictive game on my phone. I finally looked up at the clock and saw that it had been over an hour.

I began filling my plate with noodles and sauce.

I swirled the cold and sticky noodles around my fork and ate without Niall. I even took small bites, hoping that he would burst through the door while I was still eating. Then he would make a joke about me eating without him, but he would still kiss me on the lips and thank me for making him dinner.

I poured myself another glass and curled my legs up under myself. I hadn’t showered all day and was still lounging in my sweats and a sweater. I called Niall but only reached his voicemail. “Hey, Ni. Just wondering where you are. I’m sure you’re just around the corner. I’ll see you soon. Love you.”

I waited another hour at the table but then began clearing everything off. I stuck the noodles and sauce in tupperwares and cleaned the greasy pans.

I grabbed one of my books from the coffee table and headed for the bedroom. I took the bottle from its place on the counter and brought it in bed with me. I twirled the green gem around my finger over and over again. Then I called Cat.

“Hey, sugar plum. What’s up?” She shushed a deep voice which sounded like Zayn.

“Are you busy?” I wondered if I was interrupting something.

“No it’s fine. What’s up? It’s getting late.”

“Just tell me that I can do this.”  I told her. That’s really all that I needed to hear.

“Oh, Dani. He bought you a promise ring for Christ’s sake. He means whatever he said. Just be patient with the boy.”

“I can do this.”

“You can do this.” She encouraged.

“Okay. Thanks Cat.”

“Anytime, love. Tell me how things go.”

I got up to put the wine bottle away because I felt that getting drunk probably wasn’t the best solution.

-

I woke up to whispers and kisses peppering my face. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I’m sorry…” He kept repeating over and over again.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes after my book fell to the floor with a thud. “What time is it?”

“Time for me t’ tell ya how sorry I am.” He replied.

He pushed me down on my back again and hovered above me. Niall repeated again and again how sorry he was between kisses. “I believe you.” I finally said after minutes of kissing. He sat back on his legs and took off his shirt. I watched him curl up under the covers with me. “You’re not gonna take your pants off?” I asked.

“Why? Do ya want me t’?” He yawned but tried his best to be playful.

“Well, yes. I do like that. I mean, I like your bare legs… maybe that’s odd.”

“It’s not.” He reached over and turned off the lamp. I felt a whoosh of cold air against my skin as he lifted his hips up to rid of his pants. He tossed them into the dark and kissed my neck. “I’m so sorry, babe. I’m so tired. I’m sorry I missed supper. I’m so sorry…” His voice trailed off.

“It’s okay, Ni. I’m happy you apologized. Go to sleep.”

“Okay.” He replied and pulled me closer.