Chapter Fifty-Nine

Niall’s POV:

I hummed to my favorite Eagles song while I quickly scrubbed the gunk out of my hair in the shower. I always tried to be quiet when I was getting ready in the morning, but I didn’t think I ever succeeded. I usually tripped over the rug and burnt my tongue on tea (when I actually had the time to make a pot).

I dried off and finished getting ready while I let my hair dry naturally. I didn’t feel like getting my hair up perfect when it was just going to be another long day in the studio. Thank God there was only one more week ahead of me until I had work off. I was hoping that things would run smoothly when Danielle and I went to visit her family but I didn’t have any high expectations.

I said goodbye to Danielle even though neither of us wanted me to leave. She whined and tugged on my arm as always (when she was awake enough to do so). I kissed her cheeks, nose, forehead, and lips while she giggled and told me to get away because she was sure her breath was smelly. I brushed her matted hair away from her face and kissed her once more. “I’ll talk to ya later.” She smiled and squeezed my forearm

-

I stopped at a coffee shop to get some tea for me and the lads. It was freezing outside and Christmas music played through the speakers of the building while the workers were forced to wear Santa hats and loud bells. I smiled to myself thinking back to our festive flat.

A sleepy worker handed me a drink carrier with steaming hot cups inside. “Have a good day.” She yawned.

“You too.” I replied.

I sipped on my drink while I drove to the studio and managed to burn myself (of course) and spill the hot liquid on my trousers. I swore and changed lanes; turning into the back lot of the studio.

I scurried inside, out of the cold and came close to biffing it when I hit a small patch of ice.

“Whoa! Careful!” I heard Lou call out from the other side of the parking lot. He jogged to me. “Need a hand?” He motioned towards the drink carrier. I handed it to him.

I shuffled multiple manila folders in my arms which held schedules, sheet music, lyric changes, and a lot of take-out menus. I shifted my backpack on my shoulders and hurried inside with Louis.

“Ah, shit. My knee.” I grumbled. I must have messed it up while I was saving myself from an embarrassing fall.

“Are you alright?” Louis asked.

“I’ll be fine.” I tried to sound cool but it really was acting up.

“Hey! Is that tea for me?” Harry started walking down the long hall towards us. “Whoa, Niall. Are you okay? You’re limpin’ a bit.” Harry grabbed the mountain of folders from my arms.

“I’m fine.” I shrugged.

“I’ll find you some ice.” Harry replied and jogged back down the hall.

“Hey, nurse Harry!” Louis shouted, “While you’re at it, find a heating pad. Ya know? Hot cold, hot cold!” Harry gave a thumbs-up as he kept on jogging. “Gotta get your knee better before you stand all day.” Louis said to me. I nodded and limped uncomfortably down the hall towards our studio.

I sprawled out on a couch near a small kitchen area and propped my leg up on a few pillows. Harry arrived with my folders, an ice pack, a heating pad, and my tea. “There you go.” He said after he handed everything to me. He ventured over to the fridge and looked around. “You hungry? I could make something.”

“I think you’ve done enough, nurse Harry.” I teased. He shut the fridge and turned towards me.

“I was just trying to help.” He shrugged.