Chapter Twenty-Seven

Niall’s POV:
I made it back to the idle car and slid in next to one of our big bodyguards. He was playing some game on his phone. I told the driver to head back to my place. I needed to get a few things straightened out before our night out. I ran a list of things to do in my head and how I would get them done. I shot all of the lads a quick text to make sure that we were still on for tonight. I brought my hand up to my chin and ran my thumb across the prickly hairs. It was a nervous habit of mine.

While in the car, Paul informed me that pictures of Danielle’s passport has been taken while we were in the airport. That means that pretty much all of her personal information was up for grabs. Now, almost anyone could find her on the internet. The press knew her name and where she used to live. Her age was identified… not that there was a huge age gap. We were trying to sort things out. If the fans and press could get pictures of our passports and I.D.s, why couldn’t they get pictures of hers?

It’s not that I worried about the press and fans finding out… I just wanted her to be safe. Who knew what could happen? It was sad to say that many of the fans were unpredictable. Some seemed to obsess over the lads and myself. Eleanor was strong; she always had been. If she couldn’t take the heat, she and Louis wouldn’t be newlyweds. Liam’s old girlfriend Danielle was never confident enough for this much spotlight. I wanted her to be. Liam sure as hell wanted her to be. But, she was the only one who could fix herself. I still wondered what happened between the two of them; even though it was none of my business. In my eyes, Perrie and Zayn were meant to be. They understood each other with a kind of knowledge that surpassed my understanding. But, neither of them could stay faithful.

I was dropped off back at my flat with a million thoughts still running around inside my head. I trailed up the old metal steps at the back of the building. Maybe the long way around would clear my head. I would have a few extra moments to think. I felt my phone vibrate in my front pocket. I checked and saw that all of the lads were still up for some fun.

I made it up to my flat and unlocked the door. I kicked my shoes off and let my heavy backpack fall to the floor. So many things needed to get done. I quickly grabbed some clothes for Danielle. I knew that in her eyes, wearing my clothes was a huge step. She never said so but I had a feeling. After I gathered a small mountain for her, I jumped in the shower. I had already showered once but I felt like I needed another. It would help shake off the sleep and hangover that was still lingering. I heard my phone vibrate on the counter by the sink a couple times, indicating it was a call. I quickly jumped out, naked, and answered it.

“Hello?” Water dripped down my body. I’m sure the person on the other line could hear the water from the shower still running.

“Yes, is this Mr. Horan?” A manly voice asked.

“This is he.” I replied.

“Yes, well, I called to inform you that your luggage should be there by tomorrow.” I heard maniacal typing in the background.

“Alright, thanks.” I hung up and stepped back into the hot shower.

Cat’s POV:

“… I have to what?” I asked.  I watched Danielle play with the ends of her hair while she sat on the edge of my bed.

“You don’t have to; He just recommended it…” Her voice grew quieter and quieter with every syllable she said. I could tell that she didn’t like heated conversation. She also didn’t fancy being put on the spot. I sighed and lifted my head up towards the ceiling. Ugh.

I stomped up the creaky steps and turned to my left. I didn’t want to do it. I don’t want to do this. I stopped at Dalton’s door and knocked. He opened and was fully clothed. No girl. No beer. Not half naked. The look on his face told me that I caught him by surprise.

“Shouldn’t you be getting ready for… work?” He wasn’t sarcastic. He was actually sober for once.

“I’m off tonight. Listen,” I started. “Could you please come with me as a “date”?” I used air quotes around the word date. I didn’t want anything springing up between the two of us.

Please tell me you’ll be wearing that. It’ll make things easier for when we hit the bedroom afterwards.” I looked down at the lone wet towel I had wrapped around me. I had been so excited to see Danielle and then I got caught up in our conversation that I forgot to put some clothes on after my shower. Same old Dalton. I rolled my eyes at him. “Actually, I was just heading out to meet up with the guys.” He tried to shuffle in between me and the doorframe. I blocked his path.

“Come on. It’s not like you’ll have to pay. I pleaded with him. “There’ll be drinks. Fancy drinks.”

“…What’s in it for me?” He reached his large hand out and touched the tips of my soaking wet hair.

“What do you want?” I growled. I wasn’t in the mood, but I was willing to give it to him if I had to. At least he was better looking than the old blokes that I usually had to screw around with. But, they paid well.

“Have a few drinks with me afterward and we’ll see where it takes us…” His other hand trailed down my spine and rested at the small of my back.

“Fine.” I snapped out of his grip. “But, you have to wear a dress shirt, dark jeans, and nice shoes. A tie would be nice as well.” He just stood with his hands still reaching out for my body. He set them back down at his sides.

I left him standing there wanting more. Sure, I wanted to give in. He knew what I liked. He knew what to do. But afterwards, everything felt wrong. I knew that there was no meaning behind the events that had taken place. When I narrowed it down, I guess it just made me feel used; like I was only there for his benefit. Yet eventually, I would still come crawling back for more.