Chapter Twenty-One

Danielle’s POV:

He cleaned up my plate and the rest of the food that was sent to us. I finished my glass of orange juice and set it back down onto the table. I watched him recline back into his chair and pat his stomach. The window was behind him. The sun shined through the windowpane and made the tips of his hair look brighter. Dark hair peeked through the blonde wisps that sat atop his head. I had never noticed the dark hair that must have been his natural color. I glanced at his eyebrows as he stared across the table at me. They were darker than the blonde that adorned the ends of his hair.

“Do you color your hair?” He seemed to snap back into reality. He had a funny look on his face.

“Yeah… Ya didn’t know that?” He looked at me like I was dumb. His eyebrows were raised; a smile formed across his lips, and his head was cocked to one side.

“Do I look like the hair police?” I teased back at him. His fans must know everything about him. I only knew of a few small details. But, I guess none of them have slept in the same bed as him... I turned my face to the wall and giggled at my profound thought. Niall eventually stood to his feet and stretched.

“Eh… We better get going. We’ve got plans today.” He reached for a red hoodie that was scrunched up in his suitcase.

I grabbed my purse and tried my best to make up the bed. The covers were everywhere. I knew that people would come and clean the room because it was their job. I mean, they got paid for it. But, I didn’t want to seem like a total jerk. They weren’t a rug under my feet or dirt that needed to be walked on… I don’t know if that made any sense… Maybe it was just something my mother taught me.

Niall gripped at a few items that sat on the wooden desk in our room and led me out the door by the small of my back. We walked to the car, hand in hand, and drove off. I didn’t know the area well, but I knew enough to know that we weren’t heading back to Maura’s house. Instead, he was on the road that led us to Dublin.

-

Niall’s POV:

“How much?” I asked the sales clerk. He stood a little shorter than I and wore a black collared shirt and khakis.

“230 pounds.” He flashed me a bright smile. I knew it would be more. It’s not like I didn’t have the money, I just wanted him to be straight forward with me.

“Plus activation, coverage, damage or repair fees, and a case?” I could feel him getting antsy. Just be honest with me.

“Around 350 pounds.” He eyed me. I held the sleek black phone in my hand.

“Alright.” I nodded. He smiled, knowing he had made a sale, more money added to his paycheck. Danielle just stood there quietly, her fingers playing with her lips. I nodded at her to follow me.

I paid for the phone and went through endless questions. I had to put her on my plan, seeing that my credit card wouldn’t work with her name. She had objected the moment we drove into the parking lot. She wanted to be independent, saying that she would figure something out. I knew that she needed a new phone. The company would eventually give up on the bills not being paid and shut her phone off. She needed to jump into something more modern, something fast. Plus, if something negative happened between us, this contract that connected us would give me a reason to speak with her. Maybe I sounded selfish. Maybe I sounded controlling. But, I didn’t want her to leave my life. It was also a gift. I knew it would take years to get a citizenship and if anyone would hire her, months to get a job. I could tell already that she was an organized person. She liked to be in control and have everything figured out. But, she must have left America in a hurry. I know that if she would have done her research on the UK, she wouldn’t have come. She wouldn’t want to wait years to be a legal citizen. She needed help. That’s what I was for.

We finished all of the nonsense that came with contracts and deals and then headed out the door. I slipped the phone into her hand and opened my mum’s passenger door for her. She slid in and sat quietly. I went around and took my spot on the driver’s side.

“…You didn’t have to do that…” She whispered.

“I wanted to.” I said softly. I kissed my finger tips and rubbed her jaw line. I smiled sweetly at her. “Now, look in that bag and pick out which cover you’re going to put on! I’ve already guessed which one I think you’ll pick, but I wanna see.” She pulled out a black and purple case and ripped open the packaging. Called it.

She sat in the passenger seat and messed around. I knew she was picking her background and setting up a lock screen. “Hey, Niall?” She asked. I glanced over at her and heard the familiar shutter sound of the camera. She laughed and I felt my cheeks grow red.

“What’re ya gonna use that for?” I navigated through the heavy traffic in Dublin.

“Money.” She teased.

“How ‘bout you use it for my contact icon?” I raised my eyebrow at her as we sat in a long line of cars. She furrowed her eyebrows and searched through her phone, her fingers tapping across the screen. She looked surprised when she saw my number in there. “Set it…” I told her.

“…But what if I lose it? What if someone finds it and takes your number? What happens when it gets leaked everwhe –“

“Slow down. It’ll be fine. How else would people have my number? Why would I have a phone if I didn’t give out my number?” The light turned green and traffic started to inch forward. She sighed and tapped at her phone.

We eventually made it back to my mum’s house. I was starved. Sure, I had only eaten a few hours ago, but I was ready for some of her cooking! I was also ready for Danielle to see my mother in a different light. Last night was the hostess side of Maura. Today will be the sweet mum side of Maura.