June 1971

1971, New York City.

My humanity is off. I had to turn it off to get away from the ache and pain of not being with Niklaus. It's not been easy, being away from him, clearly, and all I do is kill, drink, and fuck (on occasion).

"You're too good to be true." A black haired man says, staring at me from across a small patch of grass.

"Not interested." I say, but he approaches me anyway, and I roll my eyes.

"You know, you can't really see stars in New York City." He smirks and I scowl at him.

"Thank you for stating the obvious, random vampire." I smirk, and his eyes meet mine.

"I'm not the only random vampire in this situation." He smirks and sits down next to me, and I scoff, not wanting any company. "Damon Salvatore." He kisses my hand. "Who turned you?"

"Klaus. The first vampire." My eyes twinkle with delight at the mention of my former husband.

"Oh- wow." He looks shocked. "An Original turn."

"Not a diluted bloodline." I smirk, thinking of how my Nik loved to flaunt that. "What about you?"

"Katherine Pierce."

"Katerina Petrova." I whisper, my Italian accent thick.

"You know her."

"My ex-husband was obsessed with her." I roll my eyes and down a shot of whisky. "Probably still is."

"You're the iconic love of Klaus."

"I am. Violetta Santoro, at your service." A girl was walking by, and I compel her not to scream, and sink my fangs into her neck.

"You're very good looking." She smirks, and I smile.

"Thanks, sweeheart." I peck her lips and send her off after compelling myself out of her memory. "Well. I'll see you around, Damon Salvatore." I smirk and sprint out of the area, grabbing another woman on my way home, because I need a good time, and she's going to give me that.

Three weeks later.

"Still reeking havoc on New York City, then, Santoro."

"That I am, Salvatore." I smirk, and drink from my glass of red wine, spiked with blood of course, but we don't need anyone in this bar knowing that.

"Are you gay?" He asks very bluntly.

"I find that I like men and women. So no. I'm not gay, but I would be considered, hmm, how would an American think of it. Perhaps what you call a switch-hitter." My eyes scan the area. "Shit crowd." I down my glass and leave the bar, Damon following behind me.

"Did you flip your switch?"

"Yes."

"How long?"

"This is the sixth year, I think. I don't want to face life without my Klaus."

"I'm in no way the advocate for humanity, but you'll have do deal with that eventually, you know."

"I don't want to think about that. I want the shit fucked out of me, while we drain the life out of someone." I push Damon up against a wall. "You up for it, big boy?"

A month later.
Brooklyn, New York.

"Hello, Violetta." He's here. The voice that haunts me.

"Niklaus." I whisper and turn.

"Hello, my Rose." He hugs me, and all the emotions come back. Love, sadness, anger, happiness, joy, they're all here, in this hug. "Are you back to normal now?" He asks, wiping my tears. "Are you my silly Violetta again?"

"I'm not yours though. I don't know how to act, because you're such a big part of my life, Niklaus, and I-I don't know how to live without you."

"I feel the same way, my love. But us being apart truly is for the best. You'll soon find out why." He whispers, and strokes my hair.