November 1993

"What the fuck did I say, Luke?" I ask my ex-boyfriend as I walk into the house we share. I wink to our friend Calum, he's the one who called me, and poke my blond friend in the chest. "Anytime we feel like we're going to turn our humanity off. We go to each other. And we help them get through it."

"I thought you were in Ireland. Having the time of your life with your new blond lover." Luke says bitterly, before sinking his teeth back into a girl's neck. She looks like me. 

He's still mad about our breakup.

"Luke, look at me." I bite into my wrist and heal the girl, as he takes his fangs out of the girl and looks at me. His eyes are watery and lips are beautifully puffy. "Come here, babe." I hug him, and he breaks down. The girl is on the floor crying, and I motion to Calum to compel her to forget everything.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Luke." I hug him harder, and he picks me up, and I wrap my legs around his waist.

"I'm gonna go." Calum says, and leaves the house.

"I need you, Vi." He sobs. "I killed so many people, Vi. I don't know how I'm going to live with myself." He sprints to the kitchen counter, and places me on the counter. I'm the perfect height compared to him now.

"Hey, I'm almost 900 years old. You? You're only twenty years older than you're meant to be. I'm 879 years older than I'm meant to be. How many people do you think I've killed over the years?" He shrugs his shoulders with a smile, and looks up at me through his sticky lashes. "Probably a million. But you know what I say about it? They weren't worth my time. They weren't worth the time on this amazing planet called Earth." I run my fingers through his too long hair. "Those people you killed? They weren't worth the time here either. Did you know we're in the age of serial killers? You probably killed at least twenty of those." I nod, and he smiles.

"You always make me feel better." He pecks my lips. "Can I do that?"

"Wanna date for a year or two? We can travel the world. We can bring Calum with us." I suggest and he nods. "I want to bring you to Ireland. I have a friend there that you will love."