September 1993

1993, Dublin, Ireland.

"I really can't tell you why or how I got here." I say to my new friend Niall, as we sit in a relatively quiet pub.

"Well, whatever the reason, I'm happy you're here, Vi!" He shouts and I smile.

We dance the night away, and we wind up in a lock in, singing with the owners of the pub, drinking Guinness and dirty martini's.

"Mornin' love!" Niall shouts as I walk out of his bedroom, dressed in a button up shirt and my underwear.

"Morning, Niall." I smile.

"Here you go. Full Breakfast. Can heal any hangover." He winks, and places a plate in front of me.

"Thank you." I eat it fast, and pause once I get to a round black disk. "What's this?"

"Black pudding. It's made with pigs blood, but it's delicious." I take a bite and shrug.

"Not half bad." I smirk.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"I can talk to you with confidence, right?"

"Of course."

"I'm a vampire."

"As am I." I cock an eyebrow. I hadn't even noticed.

"I'm an old vampire. I was turned in 1114, by Niklaus Mikaelson. He's one of the Original vampires." Niall nods. "We were dating and married for a very long time. 851 years. And thirty four years ago we broke up." I pause and take a sip of my coffee. "The last time I saw him was in 1971, when I turned my humanity off. He found me in Brooklyn, New York, and it was the first time that I had seen him since our separation. I haven't seen him since." Niall high-fives me and I smile. "But the anniversary every year is hard. So I treat myself to a trip, and this year it was Dublin, and I'm very happy that I came here, because I made a friend." I take Niall's hand, and squeeze it.

"You're making me blush, Vi." He smiles.

"Take me to see the sights of Dublin." I finish my breakfast, down my coffee, and make an outfit out of Niall's clothes.

Two months later.

"Do you really have to go?" Niall asks as we stand in the airport. I have a flight to Los Angeles, California booked. I'm going to see Luke.

"Yes. My ex turned his humanity off and his friend called me last night. Well, called you. Here's some money for the bill." I hand him the remaining money I have from my extended stay here.

"I'll miss ya, Vicky." He hugs me and I roll my eyes at the nickname.

"I'll miss you more, Nialler." I rock us back and forth. "If you ever want to come to America, I'm a letter away. Every time I move I'll send you a postcard so you know where I am."

"What if I got the next flight to Los Angeles?"

"No." I shake my head. "Not impulse. Your family is here."

"My family is going to wonder why I'm not aging."

"Spend time with your family, compel them to not think anything of it, and then compel yourself out of their memories and come to America." I kiss his cheek. "I'll see you soon." I squeeze his hand.

"Wait, I got you this." He shows me a tiny red box.

"There's a box on my bed back at the house. It's got your present in it." I take the small box from his hand. "I'll see you around, Niall." I turn on my heel and walk to my gate.

On the plane home I'm in a first class seat, of course, and I open the box. It's a custom made ring, with an enamel martini glass melted into a curve, and a band to keep it on my finger. It's corny, and alcohol related, which means it's completely Niall and I. My signature drink while in Dublin was a martini, and I'm not shocked that he picked up on that, with all the drinking we did. I'll miss it here. It's one of the prettiest places I've been. Between making a life long friend and finding somewhere beautiful to share with Luke, I'm overjoyed that I came here, of all places.