Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

Christmas Shopping and Dumbledore

I lied down on my new bed with my eyes closed, listening to the music that was pouring out of my earbuds. I had been feeling homesick earlier this afternoon, and then music helped, even just a little bit.

I was thinking about turning it off and going to bed early when I felt a hand on my shoulder, and opening my eyes I saw Tonks standing over me, a slight smile on her face. I smiled back.

"Hey Tonks."

"I wanted to say- I'm glad you agreed to share a room with me, it get's pretty lonely in here." Tonks said kindly, her tone soft. I shrugged, biting my lip as I grinned. Tonks stood up, taking the few steps that took her to her side of the room.

"Thanks for offering. Hey, Tonks?" I asked, and Tonks turned back towards me, eyebrows raised.

"What?"

"Say hypothetically, if you were taken back in time into a completely different world than your own? What would you do?" I asked, staring up at the ceiling. When I looked back Tonks was frowning, obviously considering my odd question.

"I don't really know, it's not something I think about."

"When you think at all." A voice said from the doorway, and we turned to see Sirius grinning at us, leaning back against the doorframe. Tonks threw a pillow at him, hitting Sirius in the head.

"Gotcha!" Tonks snickered, catching it as Sirius threw the pillow back at her.

"Haha, very funny. I was just wondering if Lily could help us with the boggart." Sirius said, and I frowned.

"Why? I would think you can handle it."

"Of course we can. But it could be good practice before you leave, and we know you want to practice as much as possible." Sirius said knowingly. I grimaced.

"Right. I did say that." I sighed, following him out of the room and down the hall. Walking into the twin's room, I saw Remus repeatedly hexing the boggart, trying to get it to stop so they would be able to shove it into the jar, capturing it.

"Moony! She's here!" Sirius sang. Remus just looked away for a moment, and the boggart seemed to turn to me, pausing for a moment. An then it changed.

The Potter family map spread out across a sheet of gold parchment, names upon names. I didn't understand my own fear until I looked to the bottom and saw not only my father's name, but mine as well. My worst fear: My former life being a lie. Everything I knew, a lie.

It both terrified and infuriated me.

"Riddikulas!" I yelled with a twist of my wrist, and the map turned into a paper plane, flying around the room before Remus caught it, putting it into a large jar, twisting the lid on quickly.

"You're scared of the Potter family map?" Sirius asked, looking confused and I felt relief flood through me as I realized he hand't read the bottom. I frowned, trying to shrug it off when Remus spoke up, staring at me with bemusement.

"Your name was at the bottom." He said knowingly. I bit my lip, trying to not look too sheepish.

"Don't be silly, Remus. It was probably just Lily Evans Potter. Now if you'll excuse me, I would like to get some sleep before I go shopping tomorrow." I chirped as casually as possible, walking out of the room before either of them could stop me. Half running to Tonks's room, I slowed down just enough so I could walk in, without looking like I had run the whole way(Which, I had).