Chapter 54

"It's basically hunting season. And we're the game." I said sourly, crashed on the couch in the Gryffindor common room. My head rested on Ginny's shoulder, and I could feel more than hear her groan with frustration.

"Do you know how many students were there?" Neville asked curiously, his face flushed from sitting so close to the fire. He had taken the chair across from us so I could stretch out, draping my feet over the arm of one side. I shrugged.

"Maybe about thirty. Not very many, but enough to know that it probably wasn't only Slytherin house. I'm sure there was a fair share of Ravenclaws there, maybe even a Hufflepuff or two."

"No other Gryffindors though?"

"None that I recognized, unless you count Lavender."

"Great. So now we have to worry about everyone." Neville said sadly, looking disheartened. I shook my head quickly.

"No- No, maybe not. They might have gone, but that doesn't mean they're all going to rat us out. Hopefully." I added timidly, grimacing. "It's just that damn reward they're offering. I'm sure it's nothing that great, but still. It might lure someone enough to spill our plans and whereabouts."

"We need to find something to keep them from speaking- Like Hermione did, with the original D.A. Remember what happened to Marietta Edgecomb?" Said Ginny, her expression thoughtful.

"Unfortunately, yes." Neville replied with a slight grimace. "I'm not sure I want to do something that harsh-"

"If it's anything less than I don't think people will take us seriously, Neville." Ginny said, brows furrowing. "And maybe not something permanent. But something lasting. Something you wouldn't wish on friends- Because if they do betray the D.A, Neville, then they're not friends. They never were."

"She has a point, Neville." I murmured quietly, biting my lip. "Perhaps harsh is okay for this situation."

"I know. At the next D.A. meeting, we'll have everyone sign a paper. Ginny, you can place a charm on it- Whatever you like, I suppose, though within good reason if you please." Neville sighed, raking his hand through his hair.

"Of course, Neville. I don't want to make anyone suffer. I want to make sure they know what they did was wrong. I want to discourage people." Ginny said reasonably, her grin slight. Neville nodded once, rising quickly from his seat.

"I have no doubt in your abilities to do so." He chuckled weakly. "Anyway, I'm going to get to bed. Going to try and enjoy the weekend on some level. Night Gin, Alecia."

With that Neville departed, leaving Ginny and I to ourselves. We sat in silence for a few moments before Ginny spoke, leaning back in her seat.

"So besides all the pureblood propaganda, how was it? Did you dance at all?"

"It was alright, I guess. And I did a little bit, yeah." I admitted, tapping my nails lightly against the fabric of the couch as I spoke. Ginny leant forward then, brown eyes bright with curiosity.

"Whom with?"

"Um.."

"You must tell me!" Ginny chuckled, her voice dropping a moment later, turning to a low whisper. "You must."

I chuckled amusedly, leaning away from the girl with a faint smile. "Alright, alright, but you mustn't tell anyone. For my own dignity."

"I promise." Ginny said solemnly.

"Fine. I had a short -very short, mind you- dance with Marcus Thatcher."

"You mean the one that's always with Zabini and Nott?"