Chapter 46

Chapter 46

After having moved to a place a little further away from the wards, Severus set me down, looking uncomfortable but strangely sympathetic as I keeled over, gasping quietly. My tears had stopped by now, but I still couldn't help the silent gasps and sobs that wracked themselves from my body, my hands going up to my hair and gripping it tight enough that I was surprised it didn't come out.

"Lily, come now. Breathe." His voice was calm despite the situation. I gave a shaky nod, wiping quickly at the left over tears that still covered my face. Severus frowned as he looked at me, waiting for me to regain some small bit of my sanity. Finally I felt able enough to talk, my voice still cracking at times.

"Why- Why are you here?"

"This is not the time, nor the place." Severus's voice was rushed, pausing as he fumbled inside his cloak for a moment before pulling something out. I didn't protest as he slid it into the pocket of my jacket. I didn't make a sound as he bent down in front of me, black eyes, for once, looking concerned.

"It hurts, doesn't it?"

I nodded numbly, glancing down at my hands that were fisted in my lap. I could feel my nails digging into the palm of my hands, surely leaving several crescent-shaped marks. Severus sighed quietly, reaching over and pressing down firmly on my hands as he took them in his own, forcing them to unclench.

"You'll survive."

"How do you know?" I challenged. I knew he was right- Of course I would survive.

"Because you're a survivor." Severus said it like a fact; it's just how things were. And maybe he was right. Had surviving not been exactly what I had been doing these past few years? From all the near-death experiences, to rather literal death experiences, I had survived. Severus remained in front of me before he stood up, brushing his robes off carefully.

"What I gave you- I shall assume you know what to do with it. If not, well," He paused for a moment, glancing at me thoughtfully before continuing, "Figure it out."

Helpful. Very helpful. I nodded slowly, looking up at him through swollen eyes, watching as he turned to leave. Just like that, he would be gone to. And I let him, watching as his dark robes billowed behind him. He had barely gotten ten feet away before there was a loud crack, and Severus Snape vanished before my very eyes.

He did have excellent timing, though.

"Lily! Lily?" Sirius's voice yelled through the rain, as the man himself appeared a few minutes later. I would've expected him to be soaked to the bone as much as myself, but instead he was perfectly dry, most likely the trick of some spell. The panic removed itself from his face as he saw me, replaced by a subtle solemness as he approached. I must have looked pathetic, sitting on a rock and soaking wet, my arms wrapped around myself.

"Hi, Sirius." I croaked softly, a sad smile turning the corner of his lips as he kneeled down in front of me, standing in the same spot his school nemesis had stood not two minutes ago.

"Ready to go home, love?" He asked quietly. I nodded without hesitation, nor made any sound of protest as he slid his arms under me, lifting me up off the rock and into his arms bridal style. I felt silly, and childish, but also comforted. The sway of Sirius's walk was lulling, my eyes falling closed as my head fell against his chest.

Sleep, I thought to myself as we walked through the rain, would hopefully be able to take me away from the misery that was my present reality.

Even if only for little awhile.

* * *

When I woke up, I was surprised to find I was not at Grimmauld. Instead, I found myself curled up on a soft bed, surrounded by a quilt and pillows. Sun peeked through the curtains that covered the window, the smell of food coming from somewhere in the home. From the homey colors that painted the walls to the warmth that surrounded the place I was able to pinpoint exactly where I was; The Burrow.