Chapter 29

Chapter 29

“They should be back by now!” George let out a groan of frustration, sinking into his chair. I nodded in agreement, while Fred remained motionless to the point where I was starting to get concerned. I didn’t even know it was possible for him to stay that still for that long.

Timidly I reached out and waved my hand in front of his face, flinching when he grabbed it.

“Can’t you see I’m thinking?” He asked, rolling his eyes and looking over at me. I shrugged.

“Didn’t know it was possible.”

“Oh, shut up.” Fred rolled his eyes, while George laughed in the background.

“You shut up too!” Fred leaned around me to glare at his twin, causing both George and I to laugh, harder than the first time when there was a loud thump, followed by a wail.

“Caiden?” I called up, to no response but the loud wailing. Jumping off my seat I beat George and Fred to the stairs, racing up and down the halls to find my little brother. Flinging the door open, I looked around the room to see a fallen dresser, Caiden crouched under it.

“Oh, Caiden, are you okay?” I sighed, kneeling down next to him. Caiden sniff, wiping at his face.

“I-it landed on my leg!” He whimpered, and looking down I saw he was right- his right leg was splayed out at an awkward angle underneath the bottom of the dresser. George whistled.

“Oh boy. How’d you pull this off, Caiden?” He asked, studying the dresser for a second before gently lifting it up and off his leg. Caiden sniffed again as I pulled him into my lap, wrapping my arms around him comfortingly. His leg remained twisted, and I couldn’t help but feel hurt for him as he cried, his broken leg stuck out in front of him while the other stayed curled up, close to his body. 

“Okay, kid. C’mere.” Fred sighed softly, kneeling down next to him and pulling out his wand. Caiden seemed to brighten up considerably at this, eyeing the wand with interest as Fred waved it over his leg, murmuring a spell that caused Caiden’s leg to straighten up slightly. Caiden stiffened but otherwise remained motionless as the wand conjured up a makeshift splint.

“Thanks.” I sighed in relief as Caiden curled up in my arms, and gently I picked up, setting him down on his bed gently. He curled up on his pillows, sucking slightly on one of his knuckles as I wiped away the tears that had spilled across his red cheeks.

“Poor, little boy.” I crooned, and Caiden half-heartedly glared at him.

“I am not little!”

“Of course not.” I chuckled softly when the door swung open, revealing a pale Sirius.

“Lily, come on.”

“Wha- What? What are you doing here, I thought-”

“Lily, now.” Sirius said sternly, and I frowned, exchanging glances with Fred and George before turning to Caiden, who let out a sigh.

“Go on.” Was all he said, I smiled sadly before following Sirius out the door, taking several steps at a time to keep up with him.

“What’s going on?” I asked as we walked, and Sirius sighed.

“Dumbledore’s dead.” He said softly, and I bit my lip but nodded once. I had seen this coming- Dumbledore himself had. But it still didn’t seem to lessen any of the hopelessness that filled me, the sense of being alone.

And in truth, I was. Snape and Dumbledore were the only two that I was able to confide in about the future- while Sirius and Remus may know I knew about what happens, I hadn’t told them anything. And they never asked.