Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The world swirled around me as I counted my breaths, the only thing I could depend on that made me aware that I was alive. Everything was foggy and blurry, my sight going back and forth from that to nothing. Just darkness.

I couldn’t move, my hands and legs limp and useless- I wasn’t really even sure if they were still there. If I listened hard enough, I could hear the vibrations of someone speaking, though it sounded muffled, like someone was talking with a scarf in their mouth. 

I had no touch or sense of the are around me, and I had the feeling that someone could throw me into a fire or into freezing water and I would still not feel it. I could be roasting alive and I wouldn’t know it until I was dead. 

I also felt claustrophobic, and that was the hardest part. Like something was compressing on my chest, and I had to fight to breath, every breath sending pain shooting up my body. But I had to keep going. I had to.

I didn’t know how long I had been here. I just know it seemed like forever, an eternity of nothing. I counted my breaths, trying to find something to do. 15, 256 breaths and I lost count, so instead of counting I decided to go through memories, when I realized- I had none. I knew they were there, but I just couldn’t make them reveal themselves. 

Clouded faces and muffled words were all that filled my one part of my brain, while the other part was busy, fighting off the curse. Curse! Katie Bell. I was so stupid... that was something I remember clearly. I had been looking for something, something that was supposed to happen.

Except it hadn’t. Well, it didn’t happen to Katie at least. It happened to me. Vaguely, I wondered if this is what it had been like for Katie, when she was cursed back in the books. 

40, 256 breaths later, my eyes started to burn, like I had them open for to long, but when I tried to close my eyes I realized they already were shut.  However painful it was, at least there some feeling to it, instead of just darkness and fog. 

As time passed, I became more aware, my breathing becoming easier, and the voices became less and less muffled. I was able to hear when people walked across the room, the shuffle of feet, the loud, and somewhat annoying cries of a baby in the room above me. 

Once I thought I felt someone squeeze my hand, but I had been to busy exploring my reinstated abilities to notice it until the pressure left. 

18,558 breaths. I felt something like water pass over me, but I wasn’t wet. It was like  breaking through water, and all the sudden it became more rapid, like I was repeatedly crashing through walls of water, and with each crash I was more aware of things happening around me, when all the sudden I flung my eyes open, sitting upright on the bed, panting. 

I was drenched it sweat, but I was too distracted to care. I looked around the room, stunned. It was dark, so I figured it must be night, but it was easy to tell that the walls and floor were white, and a desk and a few chairs were pushed against the wall. I took deep breaths when the door opened, and Sirius Black walked in, looking slightly morose until he saw me.

“Lily!” He nearly yelled before running over, wrapping his arms around me in a giant hug while my eyes started to water, tears flowing freely down my face.

Why was I crying? I was supposed to be happy! The curse had been lifted, I was ok. But I couldn’t seem to stop crying as I hugged the ex-convict, who was smiling widely.

“You’re ok. You’re gonna be fine. I got you, Flower.” He comforted, and I nodded as he released me, pulling back as to get a better look at me.