Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I walked down the hallways of Hogwarts out of my divination class, tired.

School had been brutal, trying to catch up with what I missed, and keeping up with the homework, which was relentless. I was already falling behind in transfiguration, even before being knocked out, and now I was so far behind that it wasn’t too far-fetched to believe that I would be returning for an eighth year to make sure I got at least half of it done.

“Lily?” I heard a voice from behind me, and I turned to see Harry.

“Hey Harry.” I greeted as my cousin matched my pace, walking beside me.

“Whatcha doing?”

“Walking.”

“Oh.”

Silence.

“Hey Harry.” Ron greeted, catching up with us. Harry nodded.

“Hey Ron.”

Silence.

“There you are! Where have you three been?”

“Walking.” Harry answered Hermione, and she raised an eyebrow before shrugging, and I snickered as she joined us in our walking.

“Hey! Well, look at this. The golden quartet. Wonderful.” I heard Draco Malfoy’s voice sneer, and I rolled my eyes.

“Shut up Malfoy.”

“Shut doesn’t go up, Potter.”

“Yes, but your jaw can.” I retorted, turning around and walking backwards so I could face him, keeping speed with Hermione, Ron and Harry all the while.

“Clever.” Draco sneered, and I rolled my eyes, sticking my tongue out at him as he turned down one of the other halls. I kept walking a little while with Harry, Ron, and Hermione before we decided to part ways, the three going to the common room and myself heading to the Great Hall.

“Bye guys.” I waved, continuing doing the hallway when I ran into someone.

“Hey Lily.”

“Hey Luna.”

“What’cha doing?’

“Walking.” I shrugged, and Luna nodded.

“That’s wonderful. Have you heard the rumors?” She asked, and I frowned slightly, looking over at her.

“Rumors?”

“Oh, yes. Apparently someone broke into Dumbledore’s office.” She explained, and if I had been drinking something, i would have spat it out.

“What!”

“Something was stolen from his office. Of course, it could be nargles-”

“Who?”

“Nargles. I told you about them.

“Oh, yes.” I nodded, and Luna smiled dreamily at me.

“Also, Lily, I heard that Professor Snape was looking for y-”

“He is?” I squeaked, looking around. Luna nodded.

“Yes, he is.” She nodded, and I sighed.

“Uhg. Sorry, Luna, I should go if Snape’s looking for me.” I murmured, and Luna nodded, a look of understanding in her eye.

“Very well. Good luck, Lily Potter.” I looked at her funny before I shook my head at her and walked down towards the dungeon. I knocked on the door before walking in.

“You wanted me, Professor?” I asked, and Snape looked up from his desk.

“Where were you? I summoned you an hour ago.” He asked, and I scowled at him.

“I am not a thing to be summoned, Professor.” I said, and he rolled his eyes, gesturing for me to sit.

“Either way, you should’ve been here an hour ago.”

“Sorry, Professor. But what do you need?” I asked, and he sighed.

“There have been some..... disturbances, in the Wizarding World as of last night.” He started, and I frowned.

“Like what?”

“Dumbledore’s office was broken into, and something of the most importance was stolen.” Snape paused, taking a deep breath. “Dumbledore’s deluminator.”

“Ga- What?” I squeaked, and Snape nodded, his face gave.

“I’m afraid so.” He said softly, eyeing my pale face warily.

“Great..” I sighed, and he nodded.

“But whatever do you need me for, Professor?” I asked, and Snape sighed.

“The Headmaster has asked me to assign you to help get it back, try and reveal the identity of the intruder.”

“Why me?” I sighed, and he looked up at me skeptically.

“Obviously you weren’t put in Ravenclaw for a reason.” He sneered. “Because, Lily, despite your differences with Ms. Parkinson, you are quite liked throughout the school. If it was one of the students... well, who else would they tell besides you?”

“Ah.” I murmured, though I was still frowning slightly.

“Professor, why do you think someone stole the deluminator?” I asked, and he looked up at me. And for the first time since I’ve known him, he looked honestly confused.

“I do not know. Lily. I can only guess.” He sighed, and I nodded.

“Great. So not even the world’s smartest Slytherin can figure this out.” I muttered, and he shot me an amused look.

“Smartest Slytherin?” He mused, raising an eyebrow. I smiled sheepishly.

“Well, if it’s not you it’ll either be Voldemort or Draco. I can’t exactly see Crabbe or Goyle  taking the title, can you?” I asked, and Snape let a genuine smile cross his face, and he nodded.

“I suppose you’re right.” He chuckled weakly, and I smiled. I loved it when I got him to laugh. It reminded me that he wasn’t the cold hearted sarcastic bastard everyone else thought he was.

“I should get going, Professor, dinner will be ready soon.” I said, standing up. Snape nodded.

“Very well, Lily.” He sighed, turning back to his papers as I stood up and walked to the door, opening it. I was about to leave when a thought came to my head, and I turned back to Snape.

“Professor, what is going on? I mean- why the deluminator? Out of everything in Dumbledore’s office.”

Snape looked up at me, a small frown on his face.

“I don’t know, Lily, I truly don’t know.”

XXXXX

SO REALLY SHORT CHAPTERR... Sorry.

READ, REVIEW, COMMENT AND FAN!

Luv ya,

Lils