Chapter 88

"You're really engaged?"

"Yup."

"To be married?"

"That's generally what an engagement means, Neville," Ginny reminded him, her arm draped loosely over my shoulders. We sat in a booth seat in the Leaky Cauldron, Ginny having claimed the spot next to me while Luna and Neville sat across us.

"May I see the ring?" Luna asked, and with a small smile I moved my hand from where it had been wrapped around my butterbeer mug and held it out to her. Luna took my hand, dainty fingers running over the surface of the ring before she smiled.

"Congratulations."

"Thanks, Luna," I said warmly, and Luna ducked her head once. Neville shook his head, though his following smile was fond.

"I can't believe you're getting married."

"Not for another year, at least," I reminded him, my nose crinkling up a little. "We both want to finish school first. And I am still seventeen."

"Good of you to have remembered that," Neville said wryly, laughing when Ginny leaned over the table to smack his arm. I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway, we were thinking we might do the wedding late next June– we'll both be at least eighteen, hopefully both be done with school, and everyone will be back from Hogwarts. And my lease will be up on the house, so it all works out."

"Have you told Lavender yet?" Neville asked. My grin was wry as I nodded, lifting up my left hand and wiggling my fingers.

"She zeroed in on the ring like a seeker on a snitch."

"Typical Lavender," Ginny said with a small grin. Luna smiled kindly, fingers fiddling with the stem of her straw.

"It's a beautiful ring," Luna sighed softly. "Oh, I'm so happy for you. And Draco, of course. It's nice to see you both smiling again."

"I never stopped smiling, Luna," I told her, raising an eyebrow. Luna's pale brows furrowed a bit at that, and even Ginny and Neville appeared a tad baffled at the Ravenclaw's remark. Luna's smile was gentle when she looked at me.

"No," she agreed with a small nod, "but it changed, for a little while. On both of you. You were both hindered– sadness and lies, and I'm sure a few nargles. But it's better now," she said, paused for a moment, then added quickly, "though of course, your smiles were always lovely to begin with."

"Thoughtful observation as ever, Luna," Neville said with a hint of a smile. Luna smiled happily, lifting her mug up to her lips. I gave my head a small shake, a little bewildered– Ginny patted my hand in a comforting gesture, clearly amused by the entire thing.

"Where is Draco, anyway?" She asked after a moment, turning her head to look at me with a small frown. "I was honestly surprised he didn't join us."

"He's in Diagon Alley with Theo and Blaise, actually," I admitted with a shy smile. "Shopping for school, I think."

"Already?" Neville asked, an eyebrow raising. "It's not even July."

"Draco wanted to get it over with– he's not had proper books of his own since sixth year, and those got lost sometime during the war. And as for Blaise and Theo, well... Blaise figured it couldn't hurt. I think Theo just wanted to tag along."

"He's going to miss them while they're at school," Luna said with a small smile. I returned it sadly.

"We'll both miss all of you– it's going to be weird, not going back. But good, I think. In the long run."