Chapter 102

I kept my fingers knotted in my lap as Lavender worked, her movements light and quick across my face. We'd been at the Burrow nearly all morning, Lavender having rushed me over as soon as I'd dressed after my shower. There, we'd met up with Luna and Ginny, and the festivities had begun– I largely hadn't minded, as no sooner had I been sat down at the makeup table did Ginny hand me a mimosa; it was more orange juice than champagne, but I'd needed it to deal with the pace Lavender worked at.

Now that Lavender was working on painting my lips a flattering shade of rose pink, I'd been forced to put the drink down and wait in silence for her to finish.  The last touch, she'd called it– she'd already done my hair the hour before.

"You look lovely, Lily," Luna cooed from her chair, her own makeup and hair having been completed twenty minutes earlier; her dress, a satiny shade of emerald green, shimmered as she crossed her legs at the ankles, hands lifted to fuss with the larkspur tucked behind her ear. Where she sat on her bed a few feet away, Ginny wore the same– an agreed upon strapless sweetheart gown that had been to both girl's taste, and fit in with the rest of the colors for the wedding. The green matched the shade of the ties Blaise and Theo were wearing; at least, so I was told.

I hadn't seen either of them yet. 

Of course, I hadn't seen Draco either, but that I had at least expected. 

"And that's... it," Lavender hummed, leaning back to admire her work. Her nose crinkled for a moment, and I had a split second of worry that my waiting wasn't over after all– but then she nodded, a small smile crossing over her own ruby-red lips. "You look like perfection, Lily Potter."

"Can I see myself now?" Lavender had forbidden me from looking until she was done. She nodded, standing up from her seat across from me,  careful to avoid snagging her chiffon grey dress on any corners and swirled my chair around towards the mirror.

For all the time Lavender had spent, the overall result was... light. Natural. I looked like me, the pink she'd applied to my lips flattering to the flush of my cheeks, the light gold and long lashes on my eyelids bringing out the green of my eyes. She'd taken great pains to perfect my hair, having left it in soft curls before pinning it half up with the hair comb I'd inherited from Narcissa.

The overall effect was a little contradicted with the sweat pants and tank top I wore, but it was breath-taking all the same. With the dress on, the gold-plaited veil and heels... perhaps it was vain, but Ginny had used the word radiant to describe it, so I figured I could, as well.

"You've outdone yourself," I told her, smiling a little at my reflection; she smiled back, eyes bright and shining, a healthy glow to her cheeks. I looked happy. I was happy– almost unbearably so.

It wasn't every day you married the love of your life for the second time.

"The mascara is waterproof, by the way," Lavender added, a knowing look in her eyes as I pulled my eyes from my reflection to hers; she was smiling at me, blue eyes warm. "Just in case."

"Thank you, Lavender." I reached my hand out to her, squeezing it gently when she gave it to me. "I'd be lost without you."

"You're just saying that," she tsked, though I could see the happy flush in her cheeks. "I've packed all the products in your honeymoon bag, by the way. As well as everything else, that's already been dropped off at your destination– you're welcome, by the way."

"Always thinking ahead," I told her brightly, just as the knock came on the bedroom door. Though Luna was closer, Ginny was faster, sliding off the bed and crossing her room in several long-strides. She was careful to crack the door open, peeking through just the barest sliver to ensure I wouldn't be seen. The secrecy lasted only a second before Tonks came barreling in, dressed in a surprisingly understated blue dress while wearing sunshine-yellow hair. She beamed as bright as her hair when she saw me, arms outstretched for the hug I'd already stood up for.