Chapter 34

Alisa POV

"You better call me everyday! Ooh I'm gonna miss you so much!" my mom squealed squeezing me in a hug.

My mother has been very helpful with the whole Luke incident. It was times like these I'm glad she wasn't one of those controlling moms. When I explained why it was best I left for New York so early, she was very understanding.

"I'm gonna miss you too, mom" I said with a slight waver in my voice. I returned the hug, squeezing her as tight as I could. We stood there for a long time before the voice came on announcing final boarding.

I pulled out of the hug, feeling a stray tear run down my cheek. "I'll call when I land?" It wasn't really a question, although the crack in my voice made it sound that way. My mom just nodded and gently squeezed my hand before I stepped onto the plane.

I took a deep breath and walked up to the counter to show the airport attendant my boarding pass. I didn't risk turning around, or else I would end up crying even more than the tears I was already desperately trying to hold in.

It wasn't until I sat down in my seat that I realized how scared out of my mind I was. Here I was–barely even an adult yet–going to live in a huge city where I knew absolutely nobody. The only time I've ever left Los Angeles, besides the nightmare trip to San Diego, was to visit my cousins in Palm Springs. Even still, both trips involved staying in California. Now I was moving across the country all by myself, going to a new school.

I looked out the tiny oval window trying to convince myself this was the right decision. In my head I knew I had to leave. Going to college and getting out of California was my dream. Besides, there was nothing for me back there. It's not like I would become a famous actress or musician.

Before I could change my mind and run off the plane, I felt the wheels lift off the ground and into the air. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back. This doesn't have to be scary, I thought.

~

The flight was a bit longer than I expected, but finally I arrived in New York. This airport was huge. I managed to find my luggage without getting lost, and a guy waiting for me with a sign to take me to my dorm.

I couldn't help but smile the entire cab ride. I rolled down the window and stuck my head out, feeling the crisp air on my face. This city was nothing compared to LA. It was fascinating. There were men on stilts, horse and buggy rides, even cowboys in the street!

I felt like a foreigner in America for the first time. New York wasn't just a city, it was like a whole other world filled with endless possibilities.

We arrived at the dorm building where I would be living, and I quickly gathered my things and thanked the driver. I took a deep breath, taking it all in before ringing the buzzer and stepping inside.

A nice man gave me a card that was my student ID which would allow me anywhere on campus, and my room key.

I got into the elevator and pressed the button for the 5th floor, where my room was. I unlocked the door and jumped when I saw someone in there.

"Oops didn't mean to scare you" the bubbly, red headed girl said. She was a few inches taller than me around 5 foot 5, and was unpacking a few boxes of I'm guessing what was her stuff.

"You must be my roommate" she said smiling. She dropped what she was doing and extended an arm out to me. "I'm Hadley".

I smiled and shook her hand, "I'm Alisa. Nice to meet you" I introduced myself in my best polite voice. "And it's ok" I told her, referencing to her apology for scaring me.