18

Tony Stark was the last person Davina thought she'd see when she returned home after school

Yet there he was outside her door, straightening up when he saw her walking towards him.

"Mr. Stark," Davina said with a smile, him smiling back at her as they shook hands.

He released her hand, fixing his suit, "It's a pleasure to see you again Ms. Anderson."

"You going to see Peter?"

Looking back at his door, Tony shook his head, "Just left actually. Funnily enough, he didn't seem to be in a great mood... neither do you if I'm being honest."

Faking her best smile, Davina shrugged, "Well when you're rarely here Mr. Stark you tend to miss a lot."

"Right well what exactly have I missed? If you don't mind me asking of course."

"Of course not. I- would you want to come in for some tea Mr. Stark?"

"God yes. I just had to scarf down some of Peter's aunt May's meatloaf again."

Laughing, Davina fished her keys out, opening her door as she turned to mumble to him, "Everyone on this floor knows to not eat May's meatloaf, ever."

Nodding, Tony followed her into her place, looking around the apartment, it being much different from the Parker residence even if they were neighbors.

"How many rooms and baths?"

"Three rooms, two baths."

Tony raised an eyebrow, Davina shrugging as she threw her keys to the side, "Best apartment in the building. Dad is a great schmoozer."

Chuckling a bit, Tony nodded as he took a seat on the couch, Davina setting up the kettle before returning to Tony with some snacks.

"So what brings you back to Queens Mr. Stark?"

Starting to eat some snacks, Tony shrugged as if it was no big deal, "Just paying a visit to my good friend Peter, checking in on a little project we're working on."

"Project?"

He nodded, "But let's not talk about that. Let's talk about you two."

Laughing a bit, Davina leaned back on the couch, "Didn't know you'd be so interested in a pair of teenagers Mr. Stark."

"Eh. Never had kids. This is my chance. Plus it helps that I'm helping young Peter find love before it's too late."

Too late. Davina thought, just like it was now for them.

"Well? Did you ask him out or not?"

Sighing at the memory that she was so happy about when she did it, she definitely regretted it now. It wasn't like she could hate Mr. Stark for that though.

"I did."

Smiling brightly, Tony clapped his hands, "Great. Point for you girls! Good job kid."

Davina only nodded, wanting this conversation to be over already but he didn't seem to be wanting to let it go anytime soon.

"So? How did the date go? And keep in mind that while I do want to hear some details you can leave out the... you know. Those details."

Rolling her eyes, Davina practically jumped when she heard the kettle go off, quickly going into the kitchen in hopes the conversation would be changed when she asked about the tea he wanted but Tony Stark was not one to give up.

"Davina? The date?"

Sighing as she poured the hot water into the mugs, she shook her head, "There was no date."

"What? Oh god don't tell me you chickened out."

"I didn't," she mumbled now carrying the mugs on a tray back to the living room where she sat back in her spot.

"Wait. He did? No way. He wouldn't do that. I saw the way he was looking at you-"

"Yeah and so did everyone else and yet Peter Parker still stood me up on our first date."

"Stood you up?"

"Well completely bailed on me is more like it. I waited for 2 1/2 hours and where was he? Nowhere to be found."

Tony sat there wondering why the smartest kid he knew would do something so stupid until he remembering the rambling Queens boy who was coming up with excuses to not go to Germany- the date with Davina being one of them.

"When was this date exactly?"

When Davina told him, Tony sighed, closing his eyes as he shook his head. Of course, it was the day of the big fight.

"What?" She asked now, noticing Tony's disappointed look when he opened his eyes again to stare at the girl sadly.

"I may be at fault for that."

"Excuse me?" she asked dully now, wondering if he was put up to this by Peter.

"I should've listened to him when he told me he didn't want to go. But I really needed his help with a project so I dragged him to Germany but had I known he had a date with you, I never would've taken him."

"Germany?" Davina asked now, not sure if she should believe it but Tony nodded quickly.

"I needed his help. And he tried to tell me he couldn't go but you know, Tony Stark doesn't take no for an answer."

Davina slowly nodded now, "Okay. Even if that was true, why couldn't he just tell me that?"

"Well one, it's a top-secret project. And two, did you give him a chance?"

Frowning now, Davina realized he was right. If anything she had been avoiding Peter like the plague.

He hadn't been able to speak to her just yet but even when he did, would he give her the same story Tony's giving her?

She sat there to think about it, Tony drinking his tea as he watched her.

She only snapped out of it when the door opened and in came the rest of the Andersons talking amongst themselves about something from work probably.

When Tony cleared his throat, she realized they had been standing there frozen, shocked to see the legend Tony Stark sat in their living room drinking tea from their mugs.

Standing up, Davina motioned towards her family, "Guys this is Tony Stark. Mr. Stark these are my parents Hannah and Jacob Anderson and my brother Connor Anderson."

Within seconds they were shaking hands, Davina excusing herself as she made her way out of the living room and into her room, grabbing her flashlight as she made her way out her window.

It only took three flashes towards his window for Peter to open it, stepping out and staring across at her, saying nothing but looking at her.

"Go," she mumbled which was all he needed for Peter to begin explaining himself.

He gave the same explanation Tony did, Davina not knowing that Peter used his powers to listen in on the conversation.

So, Davina forgave him, giving him a final chance before leaving the fire escape, going inside while Peter stood there, a smile on his face.

He had managed to get lucky once again. He just hoped this time he wouldn't screw it all up... yet again.

posted: November 4, 2016

edited: February 13, 2018