12.Mixed Feelings

The gloomy day was finally coming to an end and the sun was about to set. Nandini was standing alone in the terrace, watching the sunset and crying silently. The scenery looked serene but Nandini's heart and mind were on fire. There were so many emotions inside her, wanting to burst out. Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She quickly wiped her tears and turned back to find Cabir standing behind her with a warm smile which she returned slightly.

They both were silent, absorbing the beauty of the nature, when Nandini broke the silence.

Nandini: I'm sorry jiju...

Cabir was astonished hearing her apologizing.

Cabir: For what?

Nandini(sighing):I know Navya di is hurt and she's trying hard but I....I just couldn't forgive her. I swear...I..I tried hard but....

She couldn't complete her sentence and Cabir was spellbound seeing her innocence. She, herself, was going through so much but here she is, apologising for nothing.

Cabir: There's no need to say sorry Nandini. It's completely between you and Navya and you should know that you are nowhere in fault.

She nodded slightly and was lost in her thoughts which Cabir noticed. He knew she had to let her pain out so he decided to talk to her.

Cabir: You know, you can share anything with me...

Nandini(smiled slightly): I know jiju... Thanks for your support but I'm fine.

Cabir: Oh come on Nandini, You, yourself know that you are anything but fine.

Nandini stayed silent and looked down.

Cabir: I'm your friend right?(She nods) Then why aren't you sharing your pain with me?

Nandini(sighed helplessly): Cabir, you know, I've always loved and respected bhai and Navya di equally. I never considered her my cousin but always as my sibling but as time passed by, she started behaving indifferently but I understood that she needed time. She felt insecure and I was trying my best to make her happy. You know, during our high school prom, Appa brought two gowns for us. Navya di ko mera gown bohot acha laga and she got angry with Appa saying that aap humesha Nandini aur Abhi ko jyada achi cheeze lakar dete hain. Appa was hurt by her words as he always considered her as his first daughter but said nothing in his defence. I gave my gown to her and she was insanely happy which made me happy too. When we got fully dressed up, you know what she said. She said, Nandu mujhe aaj koi attention bhi nahi dega kyuki tu itni sundar hai. I tried explaining her but she was way too stubborn so I gladly refused to go to the prom because I wanted her to stay happy.

She paused while crying while Cabir was shocked. This girl who pretended to be happy was hiding so much inside her.

Nandini: Dheere dheere,di ka behavior aur bhi zyada harsh hone laga. You might have heard di saying that she was always insecure about me when Mukti entered our lives since she became my best friend. Whenever I hear di saying this, it hurts me Cabir. Kya di ne kabhi yeh socha ki Mai aur Mukti best friends kyu bane? Shayad kabhi nahi socha hoga. Because of di's insecurity, I never made friends
or boyfriends, di had many but I had none. When di started ignoring me, bhai introduced us to his girlfriend Mukti, who herself was an orphan, staying in an NGO, which belonged to bhai's best friend. She was a lost soul Cabir so we decided to help her out. We thought that Navya di would feel connected to her but to our surprise, she hated her and started hating us more. Phir eventually mujhe New York Jana pada jab unhe mera ghar par rehna acha nahi laga. She didn't even want me to attend her wedding, the reason why I didn't come to your wedding.

She ended up crying in his embrace while he was shocked and broke listening to all this. Soon Nandini composed herself and wiped her tears.

Nandini: I love her alot. In fact, we all do. I just wish ki woh samajh sake humare pyaar ko. We have never given her any reason or being left out but alas she could never understand all this. But anyway aap promise kijiye ki aap di ko kuch nahi kahenge.

Cabir nodded still lost in her talks.

Nandini: I am feeling better after talking to you Cabir.

She smiled lightly which made Cabir also smile a bit.

Cabir: Agar tu chahe toh mai Manik se baat karoon... You know he....He is very protective about all of us. After knowing that Navya is an adopted child, he started loving and respecting her more. I...

Nandini: Jiju you don't need to explain me anything. I'm happy that Navya di is loved in your family so much, she deserves to be loved but all I want to say is that Manik should have atleast listened to me once. I'm glad that he's so protective about you guys but I want him to consider me as his family too. I mean, what if in our future too, something happens like this, toh woh toh mujhe kabhi choose nahi karenge naa. So future mei koi problem ho isse better hai ki hum baat aage hee naa badhayen...

Cabir nodded in understanding and hugged her while she shredded some silent tears. They thought that they were alone but all the youngsters were listening to their talks and crying. Navya couldn't control anymore and ran to Nandini. When Nandini saw her crying, she immediately panicked.

Nandini: What happened di? Kisine kuch kaha aapse? Haan? Why are you silent? Kuch bolo di....

Navya: Nandini mai apne aap ko kabhi maaf nahi kar paungi. I've hurt you all so much. Meri wajah se tere aur Manik ke beech mei itni sari misunderstandings ho gayi. I know I have no right to say this but please forgive me. Please...

She joined her hands in front of Nandini for forgiveness. Nandini, being a soft hearted soul, couldn't see her di begging her for forgiveness so she immediately hugged her and started consoling her.

Nandini: No need di but just remember that we all love you. Phir kabhi aisa mat sochna. Promise(Navya nodded) Aur rahi baat shaadi ki toh acha hua ki mujhe pata chal gaya....

She stopped abruptly and broke the hug. She saw Navya frowning so she stretched her lips to make her smile and got successful. They all proceeded to go downstairs when Manik sneaked Nandini out...

Nandini: What the hell are you doing Manik?

Manik: Nandini please listen to me once. I'm sorry... Please forgive me. Don't give up on me.... You promised...

Nandini: Manik we can't be together. I can't be with someone who doesn't respect me. I can clearly see our future Manik. You and me, fighting for nothing.....

He wanted to say more but she jerked him off and ran downstairs.

Manik: I know I'm wrong Nandini but I've realised that I like you alot and I can't let you go. I will compensate for your every tear. I think I'm falling for you.. Yes I am.....

He whispered the last line and smiled a beautiful smile. He went downstairs and saw everyone playing and laughing. He was mesmerized seeing Nandini's smile but soon his blood boiled in rage when he saw Maddy keeping his hand on her shoulder and she side hugging him. He was experiencing love, hatred, jealousy and anger for the first time..... His jealousy was increasing every second seeing his girl in someone's arms..
______________________________