55. It Hurts

I was looking at him as if he's an alien, as if I've never seen him before, as if he's my death, as if he'll disappear if I close my eyes. I took my hands on his cheek and caressed it softly as my tears blurred my vision, restricting me to see him in front of me properly. I roughly wiped them as I didn't want any distance between us-me and him. He held my hands, stopping me from wiping my tears too hard and wiped them gently himself, looking into my eyes. I was looking into his dark, beautiful and intoxicating eyes that captivated mine and before I realized, I had hugged him tightly, holding him onto me so that he doesn't disappear even if he's my beautiful dream or my enchanting hallucination.

I was too insecured of myself, thinking about all the possibilities of losing him, when I felt his one hand around my waist and the other on my head, pulling me closer to him, not leaving an inch distance between us as I nuzzled in his neck. This was peace, the kind of peace that I was seeking from all these gloomy days. This is where I wanted to be. I felt some wetness on my shoulder and that's when I realised what it was so I quickly broke the hug and looked at him, wiping his tears as he looked down. I nudged his face up to find him crying.

Nandini: Manik..

I croaked on my voice as he looked at me. I dragged him towards the couch and sat with him. He kept his head on my lap as I caressed his hair soothingly, waiting for him to open up.

Manik: Nandini, I've always hurt you, though unintentionally but I have. No matter how much love you give me, I always end up hurting you, even if I don't want to. I.. I love you so much that it hurts to see you hurt. Every tear that you shed breaks my heart and knowing that you cried because of me feels like hell. I was the reason behind your pain, misery, swollen eyes.

I looked at him teary-eyed as I saw him speaking lost in his own miseries. I've never seen this vulnerable and helpless Manik before. I tried to stop him but he got up and knelt down before him.

Manik: Nandini, I'm sorry. I know my sorry may not compensate for all the tears that you have shed, for all the pain that you went through alone and for all the insult that you bore but trust me, I was silent just to keep you safe otherwise I would have thrown that bitch out of my house. I couldn't lose you Nandini..

I was listening to each and every word that he spoke carefully, but my mind stopped as his speech progressed. I looked at him curiously.

Manik: Nandini, I know it's Alya behind all this. I know everything, it's just that we have to prove it to everyone, basically..

He stopped abruptly and I completed it for him.

Nandini: Navya...

I was looking blank while he held my hand giving me support. My own sister didn't believe me, I need to prove my innocence to my own sister because she thinks that I tried to kill my own nephew. Manik sat beside me holding my hands and I was about to hug him but something struck me so I jerked his hand and stood up.

Nandini: What are you doing here? I thought you were angry and you don't believe me at all.. Ab Kahan gaya aapka gussa?

He sighed and got up, walking up to me. He held my hand, caressing it softly.

Manik: Tumhe abhi bhi lagta hai ki mai tumse gussa hoon?

I nodded slowly as his expression changed into something I'd define frustrated. He ran in his hand in his hair and then looked at me.

Manik: Nandini, I was pretending to be angry with you to distract Alya..

Nandini: What??

I was so confused and damn irritated with all of the chaos happening in my life.