61.Rehnuma

Situations may hurt you but love would hold you, each time you fall.

Mukti has always been a special person in my life. She says I'm her only family before all of us. She considers me her sister and now that I have a huge responsibility to save her, I just hope I don't disappoint myself because I can't lose her too. She's the only person who understands me in all ways. Bhai wanted to start her treatment as soon as possible because he doesn't want to take a risk with her life and therefore they both would be here any moment.

The door of my cabin flung open as bhai entered along with Mukti who was looking down. She must be feeling guilty for hiding such a huge thing. I got up and hugged bhai tightly. We broke the hug and Mukti stepped forward, expecting me to hug her as well but I walked back to my seat. I heard her sigh sadly but no Mukti, you need to know that there's nothing more important than your life. They took their seats opposite me and we sat in awkward silence. Mukti was of course scared, hurt and guilty while bhai was confused and scared as well for Mukti's well-being and I didn't know from where to start. Finally I decided to take a initiative and cleared my throat for them to look at me.

Nandini: Congratulations, Mrs. Mukti Abhimanyu Murthy...

I said in a formal voice to which Mukti looked at me in shock while bhai still looked down because he knew I was hurt. Tears welled up in her eyes and automatically my eyes filled up with tears as well but I closed my eyes to calm myself and looked at her for a while. I leaned to the table with a jerk and took the file from bhai's hand and started going through it carefully. Once when I finished reading it carefully I looked at them to find them staring at me in anticipation.

Nandini: Look bhai, Mukti won't have any problems as such for now. The only problem lies during her delivery. She may..may lose her life in the process of delivering the child bhai..

His face turned pale as he looked at me blankly. I didn't know what to say or what to do. This was so confusing and frustrating when I couldn't even console my brother who was worried for his wife, my best friend because I have to tell them the truth, I can't hide such a huge thing from them, being a doctor.

Nandini: Bhai, I'll try my best and I know everything would be alright. It's just a bad phase. I know we'll overcome this.

Bhai looked at me with his helpless eyes and trust me, it broke my heart to see Abhimanyu Murthy like this. He's that guy who'd do anything and everything to protect his family, be it our parents or Mukti, Navya or I but today, he couldn't save his own wife, his first love and he couldn't do anything to save her.

Abhimanyu: Nandini, please.. Mukti's life is now in your hands..

What! Bhai, no please.. Don't do this to me.. I'll regret my existence if something happens to Mukti. I looked at him like a lost puppy.

Mukti: Yeh kya keh rahe ho Abhi? It.. It's all upto our destiny.

Bhai got up and jerked his chair back in anger making Mukti flinch and shocking me. I've never seen bhai so furious before.

Abhimanyu: What now, Mukti? What do you think we will do now? Let you die just because you were too stubborn to listen to me.

He paused and then made Mukti stand facing him. I too stood up because I was too afraid for them.

Abhimanyu: Kitna samjhaya tumhe Mukti. Maine, Amma, Appa ne, Nandini ne. Lekin tum nahi maani.. Kya socha tha tumne Haan? Ki hum sab khush honge? Celebrate karenge? Dekha naa tumne, Amma Appa no kitna bura laga tha. Mukti nothing's more important than you. Why can't you understand damn it?