68.We Did It

Nobody can predict the future. You just have to give your all to the relationship you're in and do your best to take care of your partner, communicate and give them every last drop of love you have. I think one of the most important things in a relationship is caring for your significant other through good times and bad.
~Nick Cannon

Have you ever faced a situation where you've the most important person of your life, on the verge of losing his/her life and apprently, only you can save his their life but you also know that it's all upon destiny but then you'll always have that guilt of not providing your best? This is me. I'm in this horrible situation. Neither can I have that courage to start the operation on Mukti, my Mukti nor I can face anyone because right now, it's too hard to look into bhai's eyes. He's vulnerable and I can do nothing about it. My mother is crying incoherently but I can't console her. My father is worried but I can't give him false hopes. And this feeling, is damn annoying and disheartening. When you know your family is at their worst but you can't do anything to make them happy, even when they're crying in front of you. I wore my doctor's robe, cap and gloves and looked at myself in the mirror, begging myself not to lose control over my emotions.

Nandini: You can do this Nandini. Aiyappa won't do anything wrong with Mukti. He knows we're all attached to her, he knows she has kept our family bounded together, he knows she's bhai's life, love, hope, his....his everything, he knows her child will be needing her. Besides, he knows she's a pure, loving and caring soul, so he'd fulfill her wish of nurturing her child and watching him grow. Yes, nothing would happen to her. Stop crying.

I wiped my tears with my shivering hands and took deep breaths to calm myself, in which I was failing miserably when I felt someone holding my hands, trying to keep them steady. I looked up to find Ridhima standing there, with a straight face, looking at me blankly.

Ridhima: Get over your emotions Nandini. Consider her a patient, someone you don't even know and met. I know that's difficult but we've vowed to protect every life that we can and this is certainly not how you can protect that girl who's fighting for her life, who's struggling to give birth to her baby. I'm telling you Nandini, once and the last time, you are Dr. Nandini Malhotra and for now your only goal is to save Mrs. Murthy, that's it. Get that clear in your head.

She squeezed my hands and left for the O.T while I kept looking at, exactly nowhere. Everything was empty, my mind, heart, thoughts, everything. She's right, I can't let my emotions fuck up with someone's life. I took a deep breath and marched towards the operation theatre only to find Mukti lying life-lessly on the stretcher-bed. My blood ran cold and chills passed down my spine as I saw her like that. Ridhima nudged me forward, making me come out of my scaring thoughts and I walked towards her. I discussed her situation with my colleagues and after deciding the method and it's after-effects we started the operation. Since this was a case of pre-matural birth so we had to perform C-SECTION on her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Writer's POV

While Nandini kept a stone on her heart to treat Mukti, even though it was difficult for her to see Mukti in such a state, here the situation was no less. When you have your loved one, in a situation, where you know he/she can lose their life but you can do absolutely nothing about it and watch everything getting destroyed in front of your eyes, was the worst feeling ever.
•••••••••••••••••••
Abhimanyu's POV

What am I doing, sitting over here? Watching my Mukti struggle for her life? Or waiting to her painful screams? Waiting for some bad news that'll ruin my everything? I'm such a useless man who isn't even able to save his wife's life. I failed Mukti, I failed her....

Suddenly I heard the O.T door opening and found Nandini coming out of the theatre, discussing something with one of the doctors. Her face looked tensed which tensed me as well. I know she's trying hard but...I so hate my existence right now.