38. The Wedding Aftermath

Right now, I was in the car with Manik sitting beside me. I was nervous for I had to live with new people, although I know all of them from before but there was this hesitation within me and I was also excited to start a new life. Finally.. I was busy in my thoughts when I felt Manik caressing my hand and that made me look at him immediately. I looked at him and found him looking at me with love and concern in his eyes. I smiled at him and he visibly relaxed.

I knew he was worried for me. Concerned about my health but with him, by my side, everything seemed easy, perfect and good. We reached the premises of Malhotra Mansion and I was mesmerized seeing the beauty of it. This was my first time, visiting here and now this will be my new home.

Malhotra Mansion had a modern and sleek touch, just like our farmhouse that was designed by me, so I immediately liked the house. It had a glass view and two floors were seen through it. There was a garden just in front of the Mansion and a pool beside the Mansion. Across the garden, a stairway led to the main door of the Mansion. We were dropped in front of the garden so that the driver could go and park the car in the underground parking.

Manik opened the door for me and held out his hand; I held his hand and stepped out of the car, holding my lehenga. He led me towards the garden and we walked through the soft grass and I soaked in the beauty of the flowers and the setting sun. We stopped just in front of the main door and everyone rushed towards the door to welcome us.

Nyonika: Acha hua tum log aa gaye. Just wait for a while, I'll arrange for the rituals.

We smiled at her and she, along with Navya went inside whereas dad and Cabir stood there. Manik tugged at my hand so I looked him.

Manik(smiling slightly): Welcome to our house, Mrs. Malhotra. Are you ready for our new journey?

Nandini(smiling brightly): As ready as I'll ever be, Mr. Malhotra.

We both smiled at each other when mom came with a thaal in her hands. She rotated that thaal in front of us thrice and put a little vermilion on our foreheads, followed by throwing some rice on us.

Nyonika: Nandini, kick this kalash(pot filled with rice) lightly from your right foot and then step inside.

I did as she instructed with Manik beside me. Then mom told me to step in the red water and walk inside. We finally did the grahpravesh and walked towards the living area. The living area was warm and comforting, besides being modern. There was a glass window just in front covered with peach drapes; a glass coffee table with black sofas and couch and a TV opposite it embedded in the Greek style wall, giving it a classy look.

Mom broke my observation session when she called me out.

Nyonika: Welcome to the house Nandini. Don't ever hesitate for anything. We are you parents as well. Remember, you are fully independent to do whatever you want do, whatever you want to wear. Just be comfortable and never be hesitant with us. Alright?

Raj: Bilkul sahi. You are our daughter, not our bahu. You can be free with us. We are our family beta. Aakhir humare beton ko sambhalna Koi easy kaam thodi hai. So try to be at ease with us. Got it?

I nodded smilingly at her and was about to touch both of their feet when dad stopped me by my shoulders.

Raj: Do you touch your appa's feet all the time ?

I nodded in a no, confusedly.

Raj: Why?

Nandini(confusingly): He doesn't like it when I touch his feet. He said that I'm his princess and princesses occupy their daddy's heart so they shouldn't touch their feet.