02

"A human girl, holds the key to our demise" Niklaus laughed inappropriately "is this some sort of joke?"

His laugh echoed through the room as the rest of them remained quiet. Elijah had that look on his face, indicating he was deep in thought. And Nik guessed that Rebekah didn't really want to speak.

"I should have known a girl would be involved, Christopher. Quite the romantic, aren't you?" Klaus winked "what is she like?"

"Nik, please. I am not romantically involved with the girl, it's a very long story but she is my family, I love her in the way like you loved me" he admitted, watching Rebekah's jealousy soften into something more casual.

"Well, we seem to have the time" Klaus shrugged "you've peaked my interest"

"Fine, it all started about nineteen years ago, In Georgia. Have any of you ever heard about the dark object called the muerte stone?" He asked, knowing that at least one of them had some sort of knowledge on the matter. One of them definitely being Elijah.

"The stone of death" Elijah replied like it was textbook "the stone with high enough power to wipe out an entire species, or..."

"... an original vampire" Christopher finished Elijah's sentence.

"It was destroyed years back, why do you bring this up?" Elijah asked, thinking he might need to sit down to endure this long story.

"Well that's what they wanted everyone to think, but the truth is, it wasn't. And I believe Tristan found that out and that's why he has taken her..." Christopher had begun to explain "you see, I was very close with the creators of that specific stone, they were in a rather powerful coven who kept guard of that stone until their last breaths..."

The young couple grasped the duffel bags they had left lying out on the floor. It had all of their emergency supplies, food, bottles, diapers. The woman scooped up her one year old child and grasped onto her firmly as she stirred.

"James, take the stone" she pointed out over onto the desk, where a marble like stone that glowed a darker shade of purple lay.

The man ran back and took the stone in his hand, holding it tightly as they both decided it was time. They needed to run.

No light shone through the windows as it was midnight when The Strix attacked the entire town. It was every man for themselves, every Witch for themselves. They were going to get out of town and never come back.

They escaped through the back door, realising that their garage was unreachable, which made the car completely out of the question. Not if they didn't want to get caught.

"Through the gate and up the hill" Jane, the woman pointed "we'll seek safety in the forest"

The pair and the child exited swiftly through the back gate and onto the soft grass which steeply turned into a hill.

"Jane, James" Christopher suddenly appeared as they escaped the boundary of the house. He shrugged his shoulders, speechless, as if to say what was going on.

Jane ran up to the vampire and pushed the child into his arms, it took Chris a while to grasp what was going on. But when he did, he took the child with a confused and hurt look on his face.

"Take Willow" Jane cried hysterically, snatching the stone from her husband's hands. She held it to the chest of the baby who was oblivious to what was going on in the outside world. Within a few moments when the purple glow faded from the stone and after a few mutters of incantations, she took the stone away.

"Jane, what have you done?" James asked her, his heart racing a mile a minute.

"Her blood is infused with the power of the stone" she admitted what she had just done "I can't risk letting that power fall into the hands of The Strix. Take her away from here, keep her safe, I trust you Christopher"

"I found them, over here" a gruff voice called from behind them.

"Christopher, go" she pushed him, his eyes darting from the enemies to the scared expressions on Jane's face and then to the sweet smile of the child looking up at him. "Keep my daughter safe"

"I'll come back for you, I'll come back for both of you" he promised, trying to make himself feel better for leaving them right now "run, please, I'll find you"

It wasn't until Chris was a few miles away when he heard the piercing screams of his friends. It was too late to come back for them, they had been slaughtered like animals and now The Strix held a decoy of the stone. But he held the real thing.

"So, the girl is of witch blood" Klaus concluded "interesting..."

"She is not a descendant of witches, her parents adopted her from birth, she is solely human. Apart from the flowing magic In her blood" Christopher corrected "anyway, I didn't think I'd be the greatest of parents, I still had a few enemies of my own, and she... she was so innocent"

Christopher carried on "I chose a couple I trusted, not witches but ones who were quite aware of the world's secret complications, they took her willingly and vowed to protect her" he explained in the shortest way possible "I always visited every so often, it was a few months ago when I found their car turned on its side on the side of the road, the man and woman I entrusted, dead and Willow, missing"

Elijah could see the hurt in his eyes, it was like losing a loved one, you never know if they were alive or not. It was the worst feeling in the world.

"I don't usually come here unless it's important, but I've scoured the earth and I've finally traced Tristan down to here, and I just need to make sure she is safe" he was practically begging at this point, he needed their help, and they needed his. "Her blood can kill Tristan, for good. Right now, I believe his milking her for all of the blood she can create, and when he's finished, he is free to kill her"

Klaus' eyes lit up with the mention of procuring the girl and bettering his enemy. It was a perfect plan and the miracle they needed, perfect revenge.

"She is but an innocent girl caught up in a world of monsters, I hope to save her before she is too far gone to ever come back" Chris made a last attempt to gain their aid.

Elijah looked to his smirking brother and then his caring sister. They both nodded their heads.

"The Strix are holding a intimate get together, a masquerade party" Elijah revealed, he had gotten the invitation later that morning but did not plan on going "they'll be distracted, if we all arrive and we can all work together to locate the girl and get her out"

Christopher clapped his hands together and smiled "perfect" he exclaimed "just like old times"

Fuel to Fire - Agnes Obel