59

The room was dark, all the light Elijah had was a small, dim lamp on the corner of his desk, shedding just enough for him to see the small text in the book he was reading, as well as the roaring fire at the end of his study.

His eyes scanned the words, but he looked up as he heard the door open. Willow stood just inside, closing the door behind her. Elijah came to life, sitting upright in his chair, his eyebrows furrowed, silently asking what was the matter. She had been crying, she still is crying.

"Willow-" He stood from his chair and slowly approached her, not wanting to scare her as if she were a wild deer. He guided her to this sofa and sat beside her, their knees touching. Elijah pulled out his handkerchief from his suit pocket and gave it to her.

She bit her lip, staring straight ahead of her at the dancing fire. She could feel the heat on her legs, it growing as she stayed still.

"I love you, Elijah" She wasn't sobbing, if you shut your eyes, you wouldn't be able to tell she was crying. But if you looked in her eyes, listened ever so closely and dissected her voice, you could tell a small crack broke through.

He knew what was coming. Elijah took a deep breath in and shut his eyes.

"It was easy admitting that to myself; but telling myself to forgive you is completely different" She breathed "I look at you, and all I see is before the five years, and when I take a step back, I see how we've all changed. And you can't argue, we all have changed. It just brings back memories of how you thought it was a good idea to push me away, and Elijah, I don't want to be pushed away all of my life, I've lost enough of people"

"I think its best to stop whatever we have, or whatever was growing right now. Minimise the casualties in case we go to war. We have to spend a lot of time with each other and I know that if i don't say anything now, its going to end how I don't want it to. One of us will get hurt, so its best to do it now before we get too deep into things" Willow carried on, she didn't know what to say but somehow her mouth spat out words that seemed to make sense, maybe it was all meant to be.

"I-" Elijah was completely and utterly speechless "I'm sorry I have made you feel that way"

"I just-" she sighed "I went through a hell of a lot, without you, and I know I've told you this already, but I just can't forget what I've been through, without you. I've learnt not to depend on anyone else but myself, so I put a wall up, and its hard to tear down. I don't trust easily now, it took Bradley a while to break through and get to me. I guess I can call it character development"

Elijah looked away, this was it. She was really doing this, this was finally the end of them both. He couldn't believe it, Elijah always thought they'd end up together, somehow.

"It's best we also rid our weaknesses. You were mine, and I'm trying my best to be strong, but everything is getting on top of me"

Why wasn't he speaking? Willow kept on out of hopes he'd just stop her and talk some sense into her. She knew this decision was wrong, but why was she still speaking? Willow had planned on him intervening and changing her mind.

It seemed like the wrong person put up a fight.

'"I'm sorry to have lead you on, Elijah" She shrugged, holding his hand "I'm sorry it has to end like this, but it does. And maybe when I've had more time, and it has helped me forget, helped me forgive, we can start again. But this is best for both of us"

From Elijah's silence, she took it as a signal to leave. Willow looked and saw his eyes turn red as he was holding back tears. She took her hand back, brushing over his as she did.

Willow stood up, silently wishing for him to stop her and tell her not to be so stupid, to push her against the wall and kiss her, show her how much he loved her and how much he wanted her to stay with him.

"So, it's him?" He did stop her, but with his voice. Elijah still sat down. "You chose him"

Willow turned around and shook her head "He was the first one I told; so to answer your question, no. I didn't choose him, I chose myself"

She opened the door and slid out, leaving it a crack open for Elijah to follow her through. Willow waited in the corridor with her back pressed against the wall, sobbing, crying. "Please stop me" She whispered to herself.

But he didn't follow her. He didn't stop her.

Don't Panic - Clarity