25

It was some sort of dream. Willow knew it from the way the sun softly shone through the curtains. The eerie feeling had completely vanished and it seemed like everything was okay.

"Morning sleeping beauty" the voice intercepted her quiet thoughts as she lay in bed. Her vision looked ahead to see Christopher perched on the end of the bed, just next to where her legs were buried.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She sat up, throwing her pillow at him and laughing "sneaking in here, I might not have been dressed"

Christopher caught the pillow and threw it to the floor "I just need to be serious for a few seconds"

Willow threw the covers off her legs as she shuffled closer, wondering why Chris had a very hard expression on his face. "What's up?"

"I'm not gonna be home, for a while" he didn't know the proper ways to tell her what he needed to. He didn't want to see that realisation in her eyes.

"What do you mean?" She asked, her eyebrows knitted together as she didn't know exactly what was going on "I don't understand"

"Elijah's gonna take care of you, okay? When you wake up, don't get upset, please please don't get upset" he repeated, Christopher's voice cracked as he tried to remain strong.

"Christopher, calm down. What is going on? Tell me" Willow urged, she grasped his hand and shook it.

"I love you, you've been such a great girl, I'm so proud of you" he replied

"Christopher?" She asked, her cheeks now soaked with tears "you're dead, aren't you?"

He only replied with silence, but the sight of his tears only confirmed her question.

"Christopher!" She shouted "tell me!"

Her hands were now grasping his shoulders, she stood on her knees as she shook him violently "tell me, Christopher. Did you die? Why aren't you answering me?"

Willow shot up from he lying down position, in bed. She blinked a few times and adjusted her vision to the glooming room, the sun had disappeared and everything felt as it was before. Nothing different.

Apart from the original stood in the doorway.

"Elijah" she said, Willow looked him up and down as she realised something was dreadfully wrong "thank God, I had the worst nightmare" Willow rubbed her eyes and made sure she was definitely back in her reality.

"What was it?" He asked. Walking forward and perching on the bed where she had just saw Christopher, as soon as he came into the light, she saw that his eyes had turned red and bloodshot.

"Christopher, he was there, he kept talking in riddles, he was being so vague" she remembered everything so vividly, shaking her head as she spoke "it sounded like he was dead, he kept telling me that you were going to look after me, and that he needed to go away for a while"

She kept on, saying how it was so confusing and why her mind could even conjure up something like that. It even got to the point where she was on the verge of tears as she spoke. "It's stupid I know" Willow laughed

Elijah placed his hand on her thigh as he realised she was getting quite upset about this whole dream.

"I think just recently with this whole thing, I don't even want to imagine my life without him. He's been my best friend, you know?" Willow explained, drying the tears that immediately came from thinking of the world without her best friend.

"Willow-" Elijah didn't want to say what he needed to say next, he didn't have the guts nor the heart to tell her. How could he? The girl was a mess already.

"Oh ghees, look at me" she blubbered, running her index finger along the bottom of her eye to stop the tears as they fell "I've reached new heights, crying over a dream. I know it isn't real, it just felt it. I think I heard my heart crack, he looked so sad"

"I thought at first it was because of what happened in the bayou, I don't think I could ever live with myself if it was. Because it would be my fault, he died trying to protect me, and I really wouldn't be able to handle the guilt" She just kept on talking and talking, saying everything that came to her mind. There was no filter, she just had to get it out.

But it only put more pressure on Elijah. He volunteered to be the one to be there for her, he offered to be the one that told her the news. But she just had to keep talking about her dream, maybe it would have been easier if he just came clean from the get go. Maybe it would've been easier to not ask her to explain, but ask her later.

"Willow" Elijah didn't have the words anymore, he had set everything out in his mind, but she was hysterical already "you need to see something..."

Open Hands - Ingrid Michelson