24

It was probably about thirty minutes after the trio had left for the bayou, Elijah fidgeted in his seat, regretting not accompanying them to the bayou. Maybe some extra muscle wouldn't have been so bad, maybe then he'd know what's happening.

He took his phone from the desk and dialled Christopher once more, and yet again, he did not answer. Elijah pushed his phone back into his pocket as he argued with himself.

He didn't have a great feeling. A connection of some sort told him that something wasn't right. Could it just be in his head? Could the paranoia of Willow being taken just got to him a little too much?

Maybe he needed to stop getting so attached, probably then he could let her have a day without him and without Elijah worrying what could be happening.

He had specifically told them he wanted updates by the minute. Christopher had text him saying that they had made it, but after that, there had been no follow ups, no replies to his calls or messages.

He took a deep breath in, trying to calm himself. As it wasn't only the fear of Willow being taken, it was the fear of who would take her and what they'd do with her blood.

Elijah stood from his chair, disregarding everything he was in the midst of completing. Even if there was nothing going on, at least he had peace of mind.

He took his coat and headed straight out of the door and into the bayou. Where he confirmed his suspicions as a thick fog had covered the trees, even from the entrance. It caught in his throat as he gave a quick cough.

Elijah breathed in once more, trying to put his finger on why the fog was so thick, and why it smelt and tasted like something else. He quickly came to the sharp realisation that this wasn't natural fog, it was wolfsbane. Meaning that someone has gotten to the wolves and might have gotten to Willow.

His pace quickened until he was speeding throughout the bayou, searching for where they would have met.

The cried became louder as Elijah found the spot where they all were. Wolves were burning, breathing in the poisonous chemicals, but what disturbed the original most was that inside of the fog, the figures he could barely make out, weren't all wolves.

He could see a woman, a wolf crying as she paced before another mysterious figure walked up behind her, and from what Elijah could see. He tore her heart clean from her chest.

"Willow" he shouted immediately as he now knew they weren't alone.

Meanwhile, Willow couldn't take any of this. She had sworn she saw a body on the floor, but she was in such a drowsy daze, she couldn't really remember. Someone must've mixed the wolfsbane with a drowsy chemical of some sort, because all she wanted to do was lie down and sleep.

Christopher had broken his promise, he left her, she wasn't sure where he went, but she didn't have the energy nor courage to find him. Instead, she crouched behind a tree, her hands covering her face as she tried to regulate her breathing and block out the mixed cries of the creatures around her.

This can't be happening she kept thinking to herself, she wanted to cry out but she couldn't seem to find her voice. All she wanted was Elijah, she kept thinking that he would have gotten her out of this situation, it was the first person to come to her mind.

It must have been her imagination, she thought that it was too much of a coincidence, because as she thought of the original. She heard his voice call hers. It was a distant shout, but enough for her to hear.

Elijah is at home, he isn't here, it's a trap

Her mind spoke some sense but before she could even evaluate her next moves, she shot up and shouted for him. "Elijah" she shouted louder and louder, her tears drenching her face.

The girl stumbled forward, trying to ignore what was going on in the corner of her eyes. She coughed uncontrollably as the mist had made its way into her lungs, trying to make her fall asleep.

Every second, every blink became longer until she feared that she would sleep standing up. Her vision was blurred, however the thick mist didn't help.

Willow squinted her eyes as she tried to see the figure in front of her, was it Elijah? Was it someone else? She stumbled forwards anyway.

"Elijah" she called again as she didn't take her eyes off of the figure. She watched as the unfamiliar man finally waded through the fog and made his way to her. And with a sigh of relief, she fell into Elijah's arms, still aware of her surroundings, but at the same time, falling asleep.

Elijah caught her just in time, the sight of her breaking his heart. She didn't deserve this, not today, not at all.

He quickly lifted her so he could move with ease, before calling Rebekah.

"Rebekah, I'm going to need you in the bayou as soon as possible. And bring Marcel's men, it's an emergency" he put the phone down without any reply from Rebekah, he knew he could trust her with the task, putting his mind at rest and allowing him to direct his full attention on Willow and making sure she was okay and her health was fine.

With his left foot forward, he sped out of the bayou, back into the clean and fresh air, away from the fog, away from the dangers that lay within.

How did Tristan get there so quickly? Elijah was absolutely furious, thinking he could never let her out of his sight. Only he could protect her.

Back to the compound he went, finding Niklaus on his way, silently thanking Rebekah for not dragging his hybrid brother into this.

"What's going on?" Klaus asked as he stormed forward, he looked at the unconscious girl in his arms and then back up to his brother.

"It's Tristan, he launched an attack among the wolves" he replied, stopping Klaus from walking out "no. Rebekah and Marcel's men are there, the bayou is full of wolfsbane, you won't be able to fight"

"But-" he went to protest.

"I need you here, brother" Elijah urged, motioning down to Willow "please"

Klaus nodded, leading Elijah up to the room and opening the door.

Elijah laid the girl on the bed and just hoped for the best. Willow would be okay within a few hours, but he hoped that everyone he knew would make it out of there alive.

But in this world, with Elijah's luck. Nobody would, he was lucky to leave with Willow barely harmed.

I get to love you - Ruelle