76

Out of breath, sweating and almost on the verge of tears. Willow managed to stop her running just as she entered the gates of the compound.

At first it seemed empty, Willow climbed the stairs and began to make her way down to her and Elijah's room. It was when she heard the echoing screech of the man she loved, her feet picked up the pace once more.

She was greeted by Rebekah, appearing as if from nowhere and stopping Willow from moving forward.

"Willow, it's too dangerous" by the look on Willow's face, Rebekah knew that Willow knew something was wrong.

"Only I am to decide what is too dangerous for me, Rebekah. Right now I don't know what's going on but I know Elijah needs me, so please, do not get in my way, neither of us would like the outcome" Willow growled, she could be vicious if anyone stood between her and Elijah.

Rebekah slightly stepped to the side, swallowing and looking down. It was too dangerous for Willow, maybe not physically but mentally. "It's not a pretty sight"

"He's seen me at my worst, the least I could do is be there at his" Willow pushed past and now ran up the corridor.

She burst through the door and saw Elijah, his hands were clammy and his face glistened with sweat as he sat up against the wall, on the floor in the corner of the room. Freya was beside him, a gloomy expression on her face as she had a cold cloth pressed to his forehead.

Willow's determination faded and now she stood like an injured puppy; her innocent eyes scanning over every detail of Elijah's body. Her hand reached for her mouth, she was still covered in blood, but she didn't care one bit.

"Willow" he rasped, his voice sounding nothing like him.

"What happened?" She asked, looking to Freya as she held back tears. "What happened?" This time she was sharper when nobody gave her the explanation she wanted.

Nobody wanted to tell her; they knew she'd blame herself.

"Wolf's venom" Freya breathed, dabbing Elijah's head, she wasn't finished but the pause between words told Willow she was.

Willow breathed a sigh of relief "oh thank god" she said, thinking with a drop of Klaus' blood everything will be fine.

"Mixed with your blood"

Willow froze. "What?" She mouthed, squinting her eyes and trying to think of what was happening. She couldn't make sense of it all.

"Tristan, he managed to break my sire line" Elijah wanted to tell her himself, she needed to hear it coming from him. "He poisoned me with the blood he had taken from you and kept from us when he gave it back"

"How long has he got?" Willow looked almost emotionless, if it weren't for her reddened eyes and clenched jaw, Freya would be worried.

"At the rate he has deteriorated, I'd say about two hours" She broke the news and at the same time she broke Willow's heart.

"Can I have five minutes, alone, please" Willow asked but in the form of a demand. She wouldn't take no for an answer. But Freya wasn't one to stop them from having time alone, she deserved it after all.

Freya walked out of the door and once it was shut, Willow walked over and knelt by Elijah's side, taking his hand in hers.

There were a few moments of deafening silence, all that could be heard was Elijah's deep breathing. Willow breathed out and finally let out her tears "this can't be happening to you" she shook her head "it just can't"

It was. And it couldn't be helped. "I'm so sorry I did this to you" she blamed herself "I am so so so sorry"

"Willow. You didn't do this" Elijah didn't want her blaming herself but he knew even after he had left this earth, she'd still blame herself. "This was Tristan"

"With my blood and the only reason he was able to do this was because I made the deal with him, I allowed him in" Willow picked herself apart and regretted everything she had done to lead up to this bitter end.

"This isn't your fault" Elijah tried to tell her, but the more effort he put in, the more pain it caused him. He winced and quietened. "I love you, Willow"

Willow held his head close to her chest in a gentle hug "I love you too" she said, kissing the top of his head. She still wasn't able to process what was happening, Elijah was dying. A thousand year old vampire, dying. "You know, maybe ten years ago or something I'd never really believe I'd be in love with a man a thousand years old" she had now rested her chin on top of his head and was gently stroking his face, it was relaxing for him. Her touch was probably the only things that could soothe him.

At least he got his final wish, to see Willow. And she was safe, she was alive and that's all he could ever hope for.

"I don't mind, dying here" Elijah told her, his eyes were shut, he coughed a little bit before continuing "because I- In death, I will free you from your curse"

"I'd rather have a million curses and still have you than have none and live in a world where I couldn't wake up and see your face every morning" she sniffed.

"Promise me, when I'm gone..."

"... anything" Willow said, she would physically do anything for him.

"Leave, leave the city and find somewhere else to live, somewhere a lot less dangerous. Take someone with you, Freya or Rebekah. Niklaus won't leave, but the others might" Elijah explained "get Freya to block locator spells, Tristan is out for blood and now has the means to do so"

Willow shook her head "this is your home, our home. You have built this city from ruins and you have kept it in order over centuries, I cannot just allow everyone to leave" Willow refused, feeling the anger bubble inside of her "I will avenge you, I will kill Tristan"

Elijah could feel her grip on him loosen and he had an idea of what she was thinking of doing "I need you here" he told her "do not put yourself more at risk, I cannot leave this earth not knowing if you're alive or dead"

Willow was silent for a moment. What can she say? She was stubborn, and she knew that this idea was better than most. It involved her and only her, if she were to die, then she'd be with Elijah, if she were to survive, it's one enemy down.

"I can go, whilst I can still hunt" she told him, trying to make it sound a better idea "I can take them all on, I can kill them all"

"And risk whoever else?" Elijah almost shot up but the agonising pain reminded him not to. "You will unleash the other side and who will fall in the time before I die and you change back?"

"I didn't tell you. In the woods, I was on my way to look for you and I sensed vampires nearby" Willow said "I wanted to kill them, so badly, I wanted to burst out and tear them to shreds, but I didn't, I held my own"

Of course willow didn't go into detail about the next few minutes which ended with the vampires head lying next to their feet. But he didn't have to know.

"I still don't want you to go" He refused, his hands shaking. "I need you here"

"I'll call Rebekah in whilst Freya tries to find some sort of cure, or something to buy us more time" Willow scooted around so she faced him, one hand held his chin up as she looked into his eyes. This was the shell of a man, someone so broken beyond repair, she could see it written in his hazel brown eyes. "I love you more than you could ever imagine" she cried "but I have to do this, not just as revenge, but to save your family"

"Will-" Elijah tried to call out to her, but she had stood up and had ran off out the door. He wanted to get up and stop her, but with the small movement he made, Rebekah came in and stopped him.

All he could do was watch the door and hope she'd come back in.

Never say never - The Fray